Established Member
mrs4brl

Is This a Fair Interest Rate on Auto Loan

I have a dealership that pulled a 600 score and I was looking to buy a 2008 Toyota Rav4.  I don't have a lot of credit - I've been repairing my credit for the past 6 years after a horrible divorce.  So I only have 2 tradelines on my report which are both credit cards.  Each of them has a 30 day late payment from last year.  Otherwise no other baddies - no collections, no public records, no repos, etc.  Toyota financing approved me with a 13.25% rate for 72 months.  I know my score is far from great but 13.25% sounds so high - Is this a fair rate?  Any advice??
New Contributor
wiwend

Re: Is This a Fair Interest Rate on Auto Loan

[ Edited ]
On my reports from this last weekend, it says the expected rates for 590-619 is 14.114 and 620-659 is 10.773.

I know that's just a guideline, but looks like that might be in line.

Someone else may know better than me, tho. :smileyhappy:

ETA: That's for a 48-mo. Guess I don't know what to expect for a longer period of time. Sorry.

Message Edited by wiwend on 01-18-2008 04:37 PM
1/13/08: TU:727 EQ:730 EX:710
Why does Experian hate me? And Discover? I never did anything to either of them...
4/23/08: Officially addicted to myFICO. TU:726 EQ: 741 EX: 721
New Contributor
jj15

How much are you putting down? Part of it might be that you're asking for 100% financing.
01/05/08 EQ 598 TU 612 Experian 599
01/25/08 EQ 605 TU 620 Experian 599
08/04/08 EQ 658 TU??? Experian 635
Established Contributor
CreditDrama85

[ Edited ]
if your were purchasing a pre-owned car or used car the 13% rate would be fair. since the car is NEW i think your rate should be somewhere around 8%

Message Edited by CreditDrama85 on 01-19-2008 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor
fishbjc

That's a ridiculous rate.  If it were me, I'd hold off a little bit until you get a score improvement so you'll save TONS of interest.

I financed a USED with roadloans for just over 10% and my scores was about the same. 

Do you know if this was the auto-enhanced?  I just don't trust car dealers, make him PROVE to you the score.  If he pulled both, theres always the chance that he is using your lowest score to make more $$$ for themselves.

Try a credit union & call around a few other banks.  Really pizz them off by taking in a blank roadloans check...then they get zero kickbacks.

Senior Contributor
smallfry

fishbjc wrote:
That's a ridiculous rate. If it were me, I'd hold off a little bit until you get a score improvement so you'll save TONS of interest.
I financed a USED with roadloans for just over 10% and my scores was about the same.
Do you know if this was the auto-enhanced? I just don't trust car dealers, make him PROVE to you the score. If he pulled both, theres always the chance that he is using your lowest score to make more $$$ for themselves.
Try a credit union & call around a few other banks. Really pizz them off by taking in a blank roadloans check...then they get zero kickbacks.

I agree. Check out a credit union. Penfed or Navy if you are eligible.
Established Member
mrs4brl

I checked out the Penfed website and I think my husband would be able to be a member b/c he is a gov't employee for the Dept. of Defense.  Now if he is a member, can I be on a loan along with him or can I become a member since I'm his spouse?  And we live in Illinois - Does anybody have any idea which credit bureau that they pull from?  Thanks in advance for any additional info.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+