cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is USDA guaranteed approval for under 640 common or a stretch?

tag
rross
New Contributor

Is USDA guaranteed approval for under 640 common or a stretch?

For a score hovering around 625... more than one risk layer (credit waiver for low score and payment shock - no previous housing pmts).  

I know there are "compensating factors" to consider - he's been at his job 8 years and has cash reserves. 

Technically yes, he could be approved but we're just wondering if it's really that common or if it's just a huge stretch?  LO thinks he should give it a shot.... just curious if anyone has opinions or similar experiences to share.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cracksmeup
Regular Contributor

Re: Is USDA guaranteed approval for under 640 common or a stretch?

I wasn't aware that this was even a possibilty.  Where did you hear of this waiver.  Please tell me more.  We've been deseprately trying to get my gf's score up so we can apply.

Message 2 of 5
rross
New Contributor

Oh you gotta check out this document:  http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/SupportDocuments/CA-SFH-GRHUnderwritingGuide.pdf

GREAT info, all the details on what they will and won't accept.

They can submit a debt waiver (in case your DTI is over the 41%) and they can submit a credit waiver (explaining why they will give the loan even though credit scores are low).  I believe those are the 2 main things they can do to get USDA to approve an otherwise ineligible application.

I just wonder how common it is for lenders to do that. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our lender required us to be at a 640, but it could be because USDA is a little less strict with a score abouve 640 I guess.

Message 4 of 5
cracksmeup
Regular Contributor

You just made my day!  Read it and I think she will qualify now.  Thank you so much.  Now we can at least talk to a lender.  I didn't want to talk to anybody until we would actually qualify

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.