Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a rehab loan even an option for me?

tag
edcb
Contributor

Is a rehab loan even an option for me?

I started my journey almost exactly one year ago.  I began thinking that I needed to get serious about a "forever home" for my daughter and I when I really had never had much credit - and NEVER a credit card.  My early adulthood was destroyed by medical issues and then a bitter, nasty divorce and I had a mess to clean up.

About me:

With my employer for about 18 months.

Base pay is $47,000/year but I net $3,000 bonuses quarterly and a net $12,000 annual bonus in Feb.  (total is right at $70,000k)

My scores hover around 640 - ebbs and flows.  My oldest credit card is only 8 months old, newest 2 months, and I'm still learning to maximize their reporting.

I'm a student on full ride scholarship.  After my expenses are paid I have about $1,000 left over 3x a year that is taxed as income.

No child support....I have an order for $510/month but I have seen only $460 in 3 years.

I'm a long time Chase customer with about $30,000k in my checking account, up from 11k this time last year.

My student money is put into a separate checking account and I have about $2,400 in that account.

Located in Pinellas County (Saint Petersburg) FL.

I have one consumer account reporting that is being disputed and my goal is to get rid of it.  I have 6 medicals reporting between the 3CRA's.  All at least 3 years old.

I had a student loan that had been in default but they were paid in full and set to stop reporting the lates either Aug or Sept this year.

NO Lates- other than the danged student loan that will stop reporting soon.  GW's didn't work.

I have a significant other who lives with us and who contributes to bills, about half, but he won't be on the loan.

I took a hit while getting credit cards, of course.  I was back where I started in the very low 600's but I'm slowly gaining ground back as my cc's age.

The House!

It is 2 blocks from our rental and 3 blocks from daycare.  It was foreclosed (FannieMae) for $365k.  It was initially listed at $285- way over market value.  It has been on the market 200 days and now down to $230k.  Comps are selling at $230 but are "Cream Puff" houses when this one needs work.  Just found out that the roof will NOT pass inspection and needs replaced ASAP.  The bank had a roofer come in to cover it and stop loss but we are at a standstill.

Realistically, with the kitchen needing total replacement its worth about $180k.  The roof issue now needs to be taken into account but the bank doesn't want to fix it.  This house qualifies for a FannieMae Homepath Renovation mortgage, but I'm not yet at 660 credit score to qualify for less than 20% down.  I qualify for FHA, and county HFA, but the house won't pass.

Do I have any options or do I just light a candle and wait?

In the garden until October 2015!

Journey began 12/13
My wallet: Cap1 Journey (12/13) $4,800 - Cap1 QS (3/14) $1,500 - Chase Freedom (5/14) $3,000 - Chase CSP (12/14) $8,000

Closed on my primary home and income property in December 2014!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is a rehab loan even an option for me?

FHA has a 203k rehab program. You have to qualify for the ultimate value of the loan including rehab costs.

When did you pay off the student loan in default?

Message 2 of 4
edcb
Contributor

The defaulted loan was paid off in either Jan or Feb of 2013.

I had a second student loan not in default that was paid off (early) in December 2013.

Other than my medical collections I have zero debt.  I use my cc's heavily but PIF every month...just so I get the cash back.

In the garden until October 2015!

Journey began 12/13
My wallet: Cap1 Journey (12/13) $4,800 - Cap1 QS (3/14) $1,500 - Chase Freedom (5/14) $3,000 - Chase CSP (12/14) $8,000

Closed on my primary home and income property in December 2014!
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Assuming you have a 2-year history of receiving the bonus income then it looks like your debt ratio should be fine.  Pinellas County FHA loan limit is $271,050 so as long as the total loan amount (after rehab costs are calculated in) doesn't exceed that you should be able to include the roof repairs and whatever else you'd like to do to it.

If you have more time, you may want to look into the HIPAA Program to deal with the medical collections - http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDE%20HIPAA%20PROGRAM.html

If the dispute is a derogatory credit account then you'd want the dispute comments to be removed prior to your credit being checked.  Details on that can be found at http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/FHA-changing-collection-account-judgments-amp-dispute...

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.