cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anybody else going through The USDA Direct loan process in Arkansas right now?

tag
Matt4406

Is anybody else going through The USDA Direct loan process in Arkansas right now?

Hi everyone, We mailed our Direct loan application exactly two weeks ago. They checked our credit last week and cashed our credit report fee check monday. We haven't heard anything back from them yet. Just wondering if anyone is going through this in Arkansas right now and how long has it taken you to get to whatever point of the loan process you are currently in. I called them last week and they told me they currently have plenty of funds right now. So lack of funding shouldn't hold be holding up the process. I know we are being impatient but we have found a house we want and can't do anything until we recieve our Certificate of Eligibility. We're so exited that the past two weeks have felt like an eternity. Also if anybody has an email address to contact the USDA office in Russelville that would be great. I am eager to contact them but I only have a phone number. Thanks in advance for any responses!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

Re: Is anybody else going through The USDA Direct loan process in Arkansas right now?

Check the Arkansas USDA website: http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/ARContacts.html

You can check out my thread on my USDA Direct experiences here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/USDA-Direct-after-BK-here-s-my-story/td-p/2718059

It took almost exactly 30 days for us to get our COE. We're in a different state, however.

Message 2 of 11
Matt4406

Re: Is anybody else going through The USDA Direct loan process in Arkansas right now?

Thanks, when I called them before they told me they try and have it done in thirty days or less but I was hoping they may have it done sooner since they checked my credit within a week of the application being mailed.

Message 3 of 11
Matt4406

Also were the credit scores they pulled the same as the scores on this website. I only paid for the Equifax score on this website. It was 685. Much higher than my Fako scores. My Equifax Fako is 590. My Transunion and Experian Fako are 629 and 651. Just wondering.
Message 4 of 11
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

They are required to repsond to you within 30 days. One thing one will figure out about the USDA is that most offices are understaffed and as a result, things take a considerable amount of time.

Message 5 of 11
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

Believe it or not, I never asked them what my credit scores were based on their pull. All I know was that my mid-score was over 640. Credit scores don't matter for USDA Direct unless you have an instance of what they call "Unacceptable Credit". A middle score of 640 allows them to overlook these instances which would otherwise be an automatic denial. If you don't have any, your credit score could be 500 and you could still be approved. I would STRONGLY recommend that you download and read the "USDA Direct Single Family Housing Loans and Grants Field Office Handbook" from the USDA website (HB-1-3550 DLOS Field Office):  http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/handbooks.html

All of your questions can be answered somewhere in this handbook. The other thing you will learn is that not all of the people in the USDA office are familiar with all of the rules and regulations concerning this loan. The handbook is the "bible" so to speak, so whatever it says given a specific topic is the final answer. On several occasions I have had to reference specific section when my office was telling me something that was different than what was in the handbook. Every time, the person at the USDA has revised her decision so that it agrees with what was in the handbook. It's boring reading but a fantastic resource to make sure your loan is being processed correctly. It's unfortunate that the burden falls on the applicant, but my loan would have been kicked out of the program a long time ago had I not had the handbook to reference.

Message 6 of 11
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

FYI, the list of Unaceptable Credit Indicators is in Chapter 4, page 4-44.

Message 7 of 11
Matt4406

I'm not sure that's what I read but before we filled out the app I read the underwriting procedures. I had a foreclosure in 2008 (due to the robo-signing epidemic that happened, recieved money from the foreclosure settlement but that didn't take it off my credit) but anyways it has been five years since it finalized so that shouldn't be a problem. I wrote a LOE and sent it with my app anyways. I was just curious though because a year ago we bought a new car and my transunion score was a 505. I've spent the past year trying to improve my credit which is hard because the foreclosure brings down my score. Just wondering how close the MyFico score is tho the real scores because I've worked so hard on my credit and wanting to see how much it paid off.

Message 8 of 11
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

Your Equifax score will be the same. Others have posted saying that TU and Ex are usually within +/- 20 points of the FAKO's. I think some have seen as much as 50+ point difference. As long as you haven't had more than one 30+ day late or any CO/collections in the past 12 months you should be fine.

Message 9 of 11
Matt4406

Good, thank you.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.