cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it right? First time home buyer...

tag
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Is it right? First time home buyer...

FHA will most likely give you the lowest interest rate & total monthly payment.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I have a partner that has already purchased a home, can I still qualify for a FHA loan? Thanks!
Message 12 of 17
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Yes you may - FHA is not just for first time homebuyers.  If you are qualifying on the loan with your partner then their debts (monthly payments) will be taken into consideration for the approval as well as their income, credit, assets, etc.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does your minimum credit score have to be to get an FHA loan? what about a conventional loan? Thanks!
Message 14 of 17
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

FHA loans are not credit score driven, however your lender might have a minimum score requirement. You need to talk with your lender to figure out whether you can qualify for a conventional loan. Are you working with a broker or lender at this time?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are going with a lender, but I am unsure if I can qualify for an FHA loan. My boyfriend has only had his job for around a year (different field - before his current role he was self employed).. I have had steady employment for 2 and a half years? Will his employment throw us out of the FHA category? We do have about 5% cash ready for a down payment and closing cost. Thanks for all the advice.
Message 16 of 17
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Andryah wrote:
We are going with a lender, but I am unsure if I can qualify for an FHA loan. My boyfriend has only had his job for around a year (different field - before his current role he was self employed).. I have had steady employment for 2 and a half years? Will his employment throw us out of the FHA category? We do have about 5% cash ready for a down payment and closing cost. Thanks for all the advice.

It's up to an underwriter to accept his employment as is - FHA really only needs 1 year of employment and since he was employed (albeit self-employed) prior to his employment that would bode well for his chances.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.