cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my loan FHA or conventional?

tag
lissanne

Is my loan FHA or conventional?

The house we live in is in Mississippi. My husband bought it before we met in '99 and he was a first time homebuyer. I have looked at the documents on our county website and it states FHA loan. In 2003 while we were engaged we refinanced with the bank I was working for at the time which is now Suntrust. His name first and my name. We were not married yet. Our loan is just the loan, no insurance or taxes are included, we pay those separate. We are looking to sell and buy another home. We do not have equity in our home for a downpayment due to an equity line we took when we both lost our jobs. So, my question is, would I be able to be a first time homebuyer? Also, since we refinanced with what I think is a conventional loan, would we be able to get an FHA loan with only 3.5% down? I know I could come up with 3.5%. What are our best options?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is my loan FHA or conventional?

@lissanne wrote:

The house we live in is in Mississippi. My husband bought it before we met in '99 and he was a first time homebuyer. I have looked at the documents on our county website and it states FHA loan. In 2003 while we were engaged we refinanced with the bank I was working for at the time which is now Suntrust. His name first and my name. We were not married yet. Our loan is just the loan, no insurance or taxes are included, we pay those separate. We are looking to sell and buy another home. We do not have equity in our home for a downpayment due to an equity line we took when we both lost our jobs. So, my question is, would I be able to be a first time homebuyer? Also, since we refinanced with what I think is a conventional loan, would we be able to get an FHA loan with only 3.5% down? I know I could come up with 3.5%. What are our best options?

Thanks in advance!

You can get another FHA loan for the new home after you sell the home you are in now. You can actually apply for a new FHA mortgage prior to selling your current home, but they will make it conditional on you selling your home.  There are some exceptions to this - but you can only have one FHA loan at a time.

You do not have to be a first time homebuyer to get an FHA loan Smiley Happy

You can also get a conventional loan with as little as 5% down.

In either case, FHA or conventional, you have to qualify for the loan.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.