Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the appraisal before buying a home the same used to get property tax lowered

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the appraisal before buying a home the same used to get property tax lowered

I am using an agent for NJ who told me I would have to get another appraisal if I want to try to get property taxes lowered. Is this true. And if I do get an appraisal for tax purposes will this red flag if home is worth more than before? Will they raise my taxes? Thanks 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is the appraisal before buying a home the same used to get property tax lowered

^^^Yes, it is true. 

Getting an appraisal for a mortgage is completely different from getting a property tax reduction type appraisal. 

Each appraisal is ordered by the intended user and has a specific use/purpose: which must be disclosed not only to the appraiser, but in the appraisal.

In addition to that, not all appraisers have the skill and ability to write up an appraisal for tax reduction purposes. Plus the appraiser you engage may need to go in front of a tax board to defend his or her appraisal.  Find out what the full procedure is in your county/city for property tax reductions.  You may want to ask appraisers how the process works generally too - and then specifically for your area. Visit appaisersforum.com in the Ask An Appraiser section to get a more knowledgeable answer to your question. I just gave you the broad strokes - there is more you should know directly from appraisers. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.