Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a bad idea?

tag
Sheridan
Regular Contributor

Is this a bad idea?

I'm in the garden but I'm planning to apply for a mortgage in May of next year. I remember seeing how a CA will pop up on your report during this process to get you to pay. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to apply for a mortgage now just to see if anything pops up. Right now I only have one collection from Enhanced Recovery on my report but I sent a TX DV and the 30th day will be 4/16/15 for their response. 

I don't think I have anything out there in zombieland,  but I want to be sure. I would rather take care of everything this year to make sure there are no surprises next year. I've said this before, I really don't like surprises. 

So is this a bad idea? Anybody ever done this before? 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Is this a bad idea?

Go apply for the mortgage and take it from there.

Message 2 of 19
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...it won't hurt since the hp will be 12 mts old by may '16 ...you may get a bite(s) ...otoh it won't stop anyone from popping up next year

...good luck and let us know if any fish bite, eh 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 3 of 19
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Sheridan wrote:

I'm in the garden but I'm planning to apply for a mortgage in May of next year. I remember seeing how a CA will pop up on your report during this process to get you to pay. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to apply for a mortgage now just to see if anything pops up. Right now I only have one collection from Enhanced Recovery on my report but I sent a TX DV and the 30th day will be 4/16/15 for their response. 

I don't think I have anything out there in zombieland,  but I want to be sure. I would rather take care of everything this year to make sure there are no surprises next year. I've said this before, I really don't like surprises. 

So is this a bad idea? Anybody ever done this before? 

Are you ready to go look at houses? Make an offer? Put down an earnest money payment? Go through the mortgage application process?

A contract to buy a house is a legal contract. Are you thinking of doing this and not following through on the purchase? Just to see if you have any unpaid collections floating out there?

Maybe I'm confused...

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So your plan is to formally apply for a mortgage just to see what happens??  What's the plan when the LO goes over your file, works to give you best chance of approval, get its to UW and gets you preapproved and then hear ya say, " well I was just kidding, all I really wanted is to see what would happen."  LO is gonna be ticked.  Good LO are busy people.  Busy working with people who actually want a house, and you're gonna take time away from that.  Its what they do for a livelihood, and should be treated like a professional.  I jsut don't think its good business.

But if determined to do this, at least tell the LO up front you're not in the market for a house, but fishing, and if he STILL says he'll do it, cross him off the list for the time when you seriously apply, cos if she/he has time for that, then prolly not a good money person.

Pull your report, see what collections are on there.  Educate yourself on how to read it, if you need help, bring it to someone who knows stuff and ask them to look it over.

And thats just my 2 cents.

Message 5 of 19
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...the only objection I might have is that the lender incurs a cost in pulling a tri-merge ...they recover that in the fees you pay them ...if you tell the lender upfront what you are doing, offer to pay his costs, and tell him you'll be back when you're ready ...I can't think of any real objection ...both sides get what they want ...thats called win-win in my book 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Message 6 of 19
Sheridan
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure why most of yall thought I was planning to be sneaky about it. Of course I would be telling them why I want them to pull my credit. I've studied, and know my reports... obsessively. It's any possible stuff that's NOT on there that I'm curious about. 

I wasn't aware that I would have to search for houses, sign contracts, and all of that just to do a mortgage pull. This would be my first mortgage and I've read thousands of horror stories of people losing their contracts due to a new collection popping up. I was just asking if it would be a good idea. Looks like the answer is a major NO lol. But hey, that's what this forum is for, right? To ask questions (even if they are stupid) and learn. 

Thanks for your opinions. I'll just apply next year and see what happens. 

Message 7 of 19
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Sheridan wrote:

I'm not sure why most of yall thought I was planning to be sneaky about it. Of course I would be telling them why I want them to pull my credit. I've studied, and know my reports... obsessively. It's any possible stuff that's NOT on there that I'm curious about. 

I wasn't aware that I would have to search for houses, sign contracts, and all of that just to do a mortgage pull. This would be my first mortgage and I've read thousands of horror stories of people losing their contracts due to a new collection popping up. I was just asking if it would be a good idea. Looks like the answer is a major NO lol. But hey, that's what this forum is for, right? To ask questions (even if they are stupid) and learn. 

...you don't ...its called a preapproval and it happens thousands of times every business day ...hth

Message 8 of 19
Sheridan
Regular Contributor

@Lemmus wrote:

@Sheridan wrote:

...you don't ...its called a preapproval and it happens thousands of times every business day ...hth

Thank you. It would be nice if I could do a pre-pre approval lol. 

Message 9 of 19
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...you call a mortgage lender ...any will do ...tell him you're considering looking for a home and would like a preapproval for the amount you are considering ...tell him you're not really ready to buy quite yet but interested in what you can qualify for and what your mortgage credit scores show ...and are willing to pay for it if necesssary ...he'll ask a few questions including your income as well as permission to pull your credit ...you wait ...he calls back with your preapproval for $XXXXX ...you get a myFico alert for an inquiry ...it will show the mortgage broker or someone like CreditPlus that wholesales trimerge reports to lenders ...either way its a mortgage inquiry ...you're done.

...a CA or mortgage lender asks EQ for a list of mortgage inquiries in the past ten days from your area with scores above xxxx and incomes above $xx,xxx.00 ...EQ charges him for the list ...your name is on it ...you're now a target ...its that simple

...if you feel guilty about the lender, offer to pay him for the pull ...afaik the standard lender fee is $45 and is regulated ...but he's had first shot at you and the vast majority of mortgage seekers never look beyond the first lender they talk to ...and he knows that ...if one refuses, try another ...its your credit, your money, your life

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.