cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good amount for closing costs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a good amount for closing costs?

Looking at a $240k home purchase, FHA with 3.5% down.

We were quoted approximately $5k for our part of the closing costs. Being that this is our first home purchase, does this sound like a fair amount?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this a good amount for closing costs?

It really depends on several different factors including taxes since most of the time they will require several months of insurance and taxes placed into escrow.  I was quoted around $10,700 on a 350k house (going with a different lender/builder now though).

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you factor in closing costs and prepaid items, you can usually expect 3-4% of the purchase price for smaller loans (under $250,000) and 2.5-3% for larger loans ($400,000+) if you are paying for everything as the buyer. Your $5,000 estimate will come in a little short unless the seller is paying a portion. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We're buying a to be built in a new development and the loan officer said that the builder would contribute over $3,000 and that the lender would contribute $1,000.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Looking at a $240k home purchase, FHA with 3.5% down.

We were quoted approximately $5k for our part of the closing costs. Being that this is our first home purchase, does this sound like a fair amount?

Most of it is set by the state. My closing costs were 12k on a 600k home, but I had to pay $0 as I had the sellers pay it. As long as the house appraises, I'd increase your offer by 5k and ask for 5k seller contribution towards closing costs.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.