Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this kosher? Seller buydown for interest rate

tag
dianas
Established Member

Is this kosher? Seller buydown for interest rate

Let's say I would normally offer a seller $175000. Instead, I offer $185000 and they contribute $10000 to buying down the interest rate. I believe this would give me a lower mortgage payment? But is this acceptable?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this kosher? Seller buydown for interest rate

I believe what you are thinking of is offering more money for the house and asking for closing costs...the closing costs buy down the mortgage interest rate.

Assuming the house appraises for the higher value people do this a lot....you are just rolling over the costs into the mortgage so you don't have to come out of pocket at purchasing time.

Message Edited by 1111mel on 11-16-2008 10:48 PM
Message 2 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@dianas wrote:
Let's say I would normally offer a seller $175000. Instead, I offer $185000 and they contribute $10000 to buying down the interest rate. I believe this would give me a lower mortgage payment? But is this acceptable?

Yup it's perfectly fine, but just like mel said, the home needs to be able to appraise for $185k.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 8
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I did this.  We offered more and the seller "paid" all closing costs.  It worked well for us!
WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 4 of 8
teton
Regular Contributor

Can this be done with an FHA loan or did they eliminate seller contributions?
Message 5 of 8
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

FHA allows the seller to contribute up to 6% for closing costs

This could be used for the buy down

The seller cannot contribute towards the down payment any longer

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 6 of 8
teton
Regular Contributor

The developer where I'm considering buying gives a $1000 Lowe's gift card at closing. Would this be considered part of the 6%?
Message 7 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@teton wrote:
The developer where I'm considering buying gives a $1000 Lowe's gift card at closing. Would this be considered part of the 6%?

Yes.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.