Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible???

tag
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

Is this possible???

Townhouse i would like to purchase is 220,000, my wife and I are teacher assistants currently making 25k and 26k, with my scores is this home price range realistic fha? Or even conventional?
CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
1LNurse
Established Member

Re: Is this possible???

I'm no expert but to give you an example: My income is 91K and with my debt to income ratio, they told me I can afford 180K. I think there are alot of factors involved..down payment, debt, etc. You should consult a mortgage broker for a free analysis!

Message 2 of 8
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

Your scores look solid for a good APR.  However, without your DTI (monthly minimum payments [of CCs, loans, alimony, child support] divided by monthly gross income), you can't determine how much of a loan your bank/CU will extend.

Message 3 of 8
0x47
Contributor

You need to total up all your monthly debts (student loans, auto, CCs, etc) and figure that as a percentage of your pre-tax income.  The "typical" percentage is that your housing PITI payment (principal, interest, taxes, and insurance) be no more than 28% of your income; total debt payments including PITI should not total more than about 36% of your income.

Figure homeowners insurance will run about $100/mo, property taxes maybe $160/mo (assuming 1% property tax minus some sort of homestead and mortgage tax credits), and that leaves about $930 for principal and interest.  With a 20% downpayment on a $220K townhome, you'd be looking at $880 or so in principal and interest (assuming 4.375% interest rate AND assuming your middle credit scores are 740+).

Each lender uses their own guidelines, so it is best to consult with a loan officer if you have any questions.  FHA might have higher debt-to-income limits, they definitely allow for a lesser downpayment.

But definitely speak with them.  It sounds like there is a good chance to qualify for that amount.

Message 4 of 8
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info guys. Well currently no minimum payments on cards currently have them at 0, only 350 on my car lease. Student loans are deferred. How do i go about finding a broker or getting the fha process started?
CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 5 of 8
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

also look into teacher assistance loans. I know in Ms they have a down payment assistance program for teachers.

Message 6 of 8
Cleatus

@TwinGirls19 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. Well currently no minimum payments on cards currently have them at 0, only 350 on my car lease. Student loans are deferred. How do i go about finding a broker or getting the fha process started?

For how long?  To my knowledge (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) conventional loans consider all of your student loans in your monthly debt no matter how long they're deferred. FHA loans only ignore them if they're deferred at least 12 months from the date of closing and you have documentation to prove that.

Capital One Journey - 750, Chase Amazon Rewards - 2000, BofA Cash Rewards - 2500, Discover IT - 1750, Citi Dividend Platinum Select - 4000, Amex Blue Sky - 10000, Chase Slate - 5000
Message 7 of 8
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

That's my understanding as well. I know USDA doesn't care that they're in deferrment. I believe FHA is the only one that does if they will continue to be deferred for 12 months as the above poster said.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.