Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this weird ?

tag
jennaxx
Valued Member

Is this weird ?

We have been talking to some mortgage lenders...just talking. Today one LO told me that because we have self-employment income that there would be some additional steps we would have to complete. One is a letter from our accountant (which is H&R Block) and then a letter from one of our regular customers. I thought the letter from a customer is a little weird. We sell only on the internet and I would not feel comfortable asking one of our customers to write some sort of letter for me. What could they possible want them to write about ? Has anyone ever heard of this ?

I suppose I could have a family member from another state write something but then are they going to ask me to show them sales from that person ? I am not about being dishonest but I thought that was sort of strange.

EQ 678 FICO on 2/4/13 EX FAKO (Quizzle) 639 on 2/8/13
TU FAKO (CK) 627 on 2/8/13 EX FAKO CS 737 on 2/15/13
Lender Pull 02/21/13 TU 684 EXP 730 EQ 678
SW alert on 02/22/13 EQ 688
Lender Pull (New car) 10/05/13 761
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Is this weird ?

Use a different LO or Broker...

The more and more you hear about people having issues because of self employment income. You need a competent LO or Broker.

Now you may find some one with more knowledge in the same office, but personally I would just move on to another LO or Broker.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 16
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I don't know much about (or nothing actually) about the mortgage process for self employed applicants. But, I wanted to drop in just to let you know that you will make it through this. Don't panic.

Do you have a reviews section setup on your website where you could write a letter including excerpts of reviews customers have made and then do a screen print of the actual reviews and attach it to the letter?

As far as the letter from your accountant, do you do your own taxes online through the HR Block website? If you do your own taxes be sure to tell the LO that and ask him what specific information should be stated in the letter.

My LO was very helpful with coming up with words I should say in my LOEs. Some of them didn't even cross my mind! I hope yours is the same way. :-)
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 16
jennaxx
Valued Member

Right now we have 12,150 + positive feedbacks/comments. So I think we are OK there.

Do you think this is a tactic to get us to go conventional ? We have talked to several lenders and all of them push towards conventional.

This particular LO was one we had liked. He made mentions of some programs that he thought we might qualify for, let us know when to expect responses from him (and kept those times), etc. and seemed very helpful. <sigh> He said those requests were what transpired when he talked to someone in UW.

I do not use H&R Block online. I have accordian files where I store each months receipts, statements, etc. and then I fill out those green accounting sheets, total everything up and then take them to H&R Block. <shrugs>

Message 4 of 16
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

I guess my question now is why arent you going conventional if you qualify?

Since you arent going conventional what are you wanting to do? VA? FHA? USDA?

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does sound weird. I am self employed. I had to get a letter from our CPA as well as the accountant who handled our book keeping before I took over. They only wanted additional verification of the business's age.

A letter from a customer seems very strange. Are you a sole proprietorship? That may be why they are asking, but as others have said this should not be necessary. I would shop around a bit.

If you are really wanting to use this lender You can try printing out a few pages of testimonials. Better yet, print all 12k out and drop them on his desk. =)

Bet that would put the issue to bed!

Don't let them get you down. It is a harder route when you're self employed, but you'll come out the other side feeling even better about your self employment.
Message 6 of 16
jennaxx
Valued Member

My hubby has such a "thin" CR that they wouldn't even give him a score. So we thought we would go the FHA route because we could do that based on my income and score alone. This is why we were going to go FHA.

I love the idea of dropping all those feedbacks on someones desk. Then again- The $200 in ink that would cost to print all those makes me cringe..LOL.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The more I think about it the harder it is for me to understand their request for a letter. Maybe show them multiple feedback testimonials from the same person to indicate repeat business?
Message 8 of 16
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It does sound weird. I am self employed. I had to get a letter from our CPA as well as the accountant who handled our book keeping before I took over. They only wanted additional verification of the business's age.

We had to provide the same letter from the CPA and it wasn't a problem, but it made me wonder, what happens to businesses that do their own accounting? 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it's pretty rare. Maybe additional tax returns to look at self employment income further back?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.