Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's complicated - need advice

tag
Taylor4236
Valued Member

It's complicated - need advice

First, thanks in advance to all that might respond to this.  These forums have been so helpful in getting my life straightened out and I'm happy to say that my credit is recovering nicely and I'm feeling ready to take the next step.  Below is my situation:

Single family home; new purchase.  Property has second (rental) home on the 2.5 acres in Washington state.  2nd home is occupied by adult daughter/son-in-law for $600/mo.

Wages are K-1.  I've been an employee of my company for 6 years - in 2013 given ownership shares and now receive all wages via K-1 guaranteed comp.  $105K annual plus bonuses averaging $10K.

3 person household - husband stays at home (no income) but does occassional 1099 consulting - will not have him on loan.

Mid score is 637 (myfico).

Foreclosure 4/2010 due to death of previous husband.  Also due to death, many late pays - everything is now older than 2 years.  Current on everything since that time.

No collections.

Home value (per Zillow) is $491,000.  Currently occupying home, agreed upon purchase price from owner was $485,000 with $15,000 paid as down payment on the purchase contract plus additional $21,000 paid to date for a net purchase price of $449,000 which I think makes LTV 91%.  Hoping to use this $36K as credit toward the down with little to nothing additional for DP.  

Currently 11 tradelines open - 1 car lease, 9 revolving CC's and 1 Amex NPSL.  Credit util is approx 35%, plan to pay down to 10% and wait for score bump. AAoA 5 years.

Pro's:  good property value, 2 years current on everything, good income, soon to be low util., rental home bringing add'l income, easy to explain the FC and lates due to extenuating circumstances and show that everything has been good now that I'm recovering.

Con's: FC (though almost 4 years old), late pays (though not in last 2 years), K1 income (non-standard income source, requires explanation of why, it's a recent change), less than 700 score which is my ideal but I know not a deal breaker.  Plus the extra home on property is just one more thing to explain away.

I think based on the loan amount I'm looking for that I'll need to go FHA or conventional.  Might have to be jumbo, which just throws one mroe snag into the process.

What I'm looking for is a reality check on this.  I know the things that I need to do (pay down CC's, wait for score bump) but not sure what else I'm missing.  I'm trying to figure out what program to look for, what I can realistically expect for rates, and whether there's anything that I'm missing.  Also trying to establish timing - apply now while rates are low?  Wait for some amount of time (6 months?  1 year?  why?).  The good news is that the owner is a friend - she's fine with us taking the time to be in an ideal situation for a loan and can even carry part of the loan if we want (I'd like to keep it simple with one mortgage and have her out of the picture).

Any help would be so great - I'm scratching my head on how to keep moving forward with my life in a deliberate way.  Thanks.

Starting Score: 592
Current Score: TU680/EQ695/EX647 (10-1-14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: It's complicated - need advice

FHA will be the only choice because of the foreclosure - do you know the loan limit for fha in your area - if it is a high cost area you may be ok 

The cons are what they are - the biggest concern is the recent change of income type - I think you will be ok since you were already established with the company - 

Definitely a huge advantage having a seller that is willing to work with you - it may take a while to fight through the process but it sounds like you should be ok - I didnt run the numbers since you didnt share the payments so I will throw in that if the debt ratios fall in line it should be ok - 

Apply and see what happens best case you buy the home

worst case you get denied and find out what needs to be fixed - rates are going up so delaying makes no sense - 

the big question is will fha lend that amount in your area

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.