Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job History Vs. Mortgage Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Job History Vs. Mortgage Approval

Hi first post to the site, lots of intresting information here. My question(s) revolve around getting approved for a mortgage, here's the circumstances:

my fiance and i are first time home buyers, we just relocated (05/09) to Sarasota, FL after living in MI for most our lives. Her credit is horrible due to identity theft, and mine is mediocre? (620-ish) I have an associates degree in graphic design but have had trouble finding work, i earned my degree in dec 2008. I have seen a few posts on here about going into your field of study from college being a plus for your mortgage chances. Also to fill in the some more details, we have about 2800 in CC debt, and a combined total of about 45K in student loan debt that has NOT gone into repayment yet. We are looking at buying a house that is under 100K and hoping to get approved for a mortgage of 100K-150K to use for rennovations and such. We are hoping to only have to front less than 5K for a down payment, but if need be we can adjust that figure.

1) IF i do get a position in my field, will this still be viewed favorably even with the time gap? (i have been attending school since dec. 2008 for a different but related field - web development) She does have a waiting job that brings in 900/1100 a month on paper (+ tips but i'm assuming that wont count for anything in terms of mortgage qualification.) but has been there for a short while so we figure that will not count for anything either.

2) we are thinking about waiting to get married until after we buy a house, would this be better or worse for our mortgage qualifications?

these Q's are coming from a couple who know next to nothing about the whole mortgage process... so be gentle, it's my first time! Thanks in advance for any answers or general advice.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Job History Vs. Mortgage Approval

first thing

even thinking about buying a house until the job situation is stabilized is porbably a no go.  And with this long of a gap post college, you may fall under the 2 year rule.  that is that they generally want you to be on your job or in the same field for 2 contnuous years.  Schooling can count as part of that, but if there ar alot of time gaps the UW will not likely count this.  It is up to the UW though.  

Also, it is alot harder nowadays to get loans to rehab a house.  Home equity loans and remodel loans do not og up to 100% of the value for the most part and without putting some decent $ down, you would likely have to build some equity into the house before being able to take money out against it for remodeling.  

Basicly, until you both establish jobs for 2 years and have job stability it would be hard to get a home loan. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Job History Vs. Mortgage Approval

To get a loan the UW needs to verify that you are able to pay the loan back. You need to have a stable job and  a history of paying debt, rent car loan etc on time.

Based on the information you have provided it may not be the best time to buy a house.

You need to start working on (re) building your credit and get an IT position.

Waiting an extra year would take you from 100K loan to 150K. Would that extra 50K make a difference? (Condo vs house)

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.