Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job change?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Job change?

I’m hoping to obtain a mortgage in 6 months. I’ve been at my current job for a little over 4 years but I’m really thinking of job searching. I’m not happy in my current position and haven’t been in some time. How bad would it be if I changed jobs at this point in time? My credit is not fabulous. I will most likely qualify for an FHA loan as I’ll be under 640 (I have 5-10% to put down and expect my scores to be around 580-600). With scores in this ballpark should I hold off on a job search?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Re: Job change?

Absolutely hold off especially if credit is borderline, needing 2 years of employment is key but could overcome that with same field but it's much smoother for UW if they see 6 years on job instead of 6 months.

Message 2 of 3
emferrari
Established Member

Re: Job change?

Wait... as LONG as you are in the same job field, and no gaps on employment, no reduction in income or how you get paid it WILL NOT hurt you. I have just had the EXACT same situation recently.

I actually applied for the mortgage in December, changed jobs in January during the mortgage process and there were no issues. And I had some challenges on my credit too, including short sale.

Situations what you need to avoid:

Switching from a nursing job to a IT tech job

Switching from a cashier at a gas station to a rocket scientist (yes much better job but makes a difference)

Switching from a full time job to a part time job

Switching from a job that pays 75K an year to a job that pays 30K an year

Switching from a job that pays 75K an year to a job that pays 10K an year and 70K in commissions

Quitting your current job and search for other while unemployed

Makes sense?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.