Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Account Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint Account Question

Hi. I posted last month that we were starting the purchasing process, but haven't gotten very far due to a death in the family and some work travel.  But we are back looking, even if trying to find a mortgage is making me feel ill (kinda like when we buy a new car - love to do it, enjoy the haggling, and then, the sickness feeling when we go to finance, and then poof, happy again when we have the keys in hand).

My newest question has to do with a joint account.  We are only going to apply for the mortgage in my name but how do lenders look at a joint car loan when looking at monthly DTI?  Do they split in half the amount of the montly car payment and only add that half to what my monthly payments are or would they look at me owing it as a whole. 

The reason I ask is that when I refinanced one of our cars into my name for the cheaper interest rate, State Farm didn't look at me as paying full rent but only 1/2 since there were two of us and the same was with one of our other car payments.  I hope this question makes sense.  

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Joint Account Question

Well, they will consider the whole payment.  The other concern (if you are planning on using FHA) is are you in a community property state.  If you are, they will consider both you and your husbands debts even if he is not on the mortgage.

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, they will consider the whole payment.  The other concern (if you are planning on using FHA) is are you in a community property state.  If you are, they will consider both you and your husbands debts even if he is not on the mortgage.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, and no, we don't live in a Community Property state
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So from what I am gathering you have 2 car loans?  Is that correct.  If that is the case the main issue would be DTI.  That may be no issue at all as I don't know the income levels, house price, local taxes, and the car payments.  But, most cases that have come across here with 1 partner in a couple applying for a mortgage and that person has all the credit, DTI issues start sneaking up.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know the answer to your question but wanted to say i'm very sorry for your loss Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mickie.  We shouldn't have any issues with my DTI due to my income and all of our credit isn't in my name, it just worked out easier for one of the two cars because of the refinancing. 

And thank you for the condolences Lady

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.