Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Account as Reserve Funds?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint Account as Reserve Funds?

Hello!

I currently have a savings account with about 5k in it, which will eventually grow to be a down payment and closing costs on a house (hopefully multi family). However, I'm concerned about being able to cover down payment, closing costs AND show a reserve of emergency funds after the fact to soothe the lender. I also have a joint account with one of my parents, whom live overseas, which is currently paid into on a regular basis - right now, it sits at about 7.5k and gains about 1k in deposits every month . It isn't really my money, and I don't touch it - I'm really just a signer in case something should happen to them while they are abroad. 

However, because I am a signer on this account, could I present this account as reserve funds should the need arise?

Thanks for reading!
Kayla

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Joint Account as Reserve Funds?

Hey Kayla, yup you can use that as reserves as long as your parents will write a letter stating you have 100% access to the funds.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.