Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journey to qualifying for mortgage loan help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Journey to qualifying for mortgage loan help

Hey everyone! I have been reading posts here for a few days. Here is my deal: i went through a horrible divorce in 2103  which left me with a few collection accounts that were my ex husbands but because i was a cosigner, i got stuck with the charges. Most of the collections have been cleared along with any negative stuff. Anyways, fast forward to now and my credit score as it stands is:

Fico 8/ Mortgage

Eqfx: 613/582

exp: 626/632

TU: 624/ 593

Neg items: i have two medical collections from 2013 one for $2700 and one for $1,030 both for my ex-husband but he was on my insurance at the time so i got stuck with the bill. I have just been sick about having to pay for these, and not sure if i can avoid paying for them? advise?

one late 30 days payment on my car loan in sept 2015. I have a legitimate reason for it though. I had to leave the country to tend to my Ill grandmother whom lives in a country where if you dont have money they will let you die. So i spent 3 weeks there and used all my money to take care of her medical care.

Have to open credit card accounts with credit litmit of $500 and $600 less than 10% utilization.

My income is 39K per year

I have deferred Student loans until 2018 totaling right now 44K.

My quesiton is how do i get my mortgage scores to come up? and how do i get around the new FHA rules about deferred student loans. If they count 1% of the deferred loans that puts me way over the DTI ratio. My car payment is 375 per month and i have two years left on it. and my minimum payment on both cards is $25 each.

Do i quaiify for a mortgage as i stand right now in SC?

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Journey to qualifying for mortgage loan help

Regarding the medical collections... do they have the name of the doctor/doctors office shown on your credit report? If so, once you get those paid off you should be able to get those removed due to HIPPA. This will make your score jump quite a bit.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the medical clininc or doctors name is on a collection account it can be removed?

I have one on my account from about 5 years ago. Its paid.  It says AAMS collection, but when you click on it it says "Coventry Health"  Can I get it removed?

Message 3 of 10
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If the medical clininc or doctors name is on a collection account it can be removed?

I have one on my account from about 5 years ago. Its paid.  It says AAMS collection, but when you click on it it says "Coventry Health"  Can I get it removed?

Yes, but it would have been easier to get it removed prior to paying (I did a ton of these).  Can you cal AAMS first and get them to remove?  Otherwise, go to rebuilding forum and ask there for help.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 10
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone! I have been reading posts here for a few days. Here is my deal: i went through a horrible divorce in 2103  which left me with a few collection accounts that were my ex husbands but because i was a cosigner, i got stuck with the charges. Most of the collections have been cleared along with any negative stuff. Anyways, fast forward to now and my credit score as it stands is:

Fico 8/ Mortgage

Eqfx: 613/582

exp: 626/632

TU: 624/ 593

Neg items: i have two medical collections from 2013 one for $2700 and one for $1,030 both for my ex-husband but he was on my insurance at the time so i got stuck with the bill. I have just been sick about having to pay for these, and not sure if i can avoid paying for them? advise?

Your divorce decree should have covered this.  If not, you can try to sue in small claims court, and garnish.  Or, go up to the administrative heads of hospital (elective procedures will be harder here), and keep pushing until they realize it's not your bill.  Google is your friend here, it took me three months + to get things I did not owe cleared up, and continued persistence with hospital, care providers, billing, and collection agencies.  Unfortunately, you do have a nicer income, making it a tad harder to back date charity care.  If you have tax documents from 2013, 2014 showing less income, research charity care in your state.  Also, go to the rebuilding forum here for more advice.  Unfortunately, many start here with the mortgage, before there with the problems.  And any collection is a problem Smiley Wink

one late 30 days payment on my car loan in sept 2015. I have a legitimate reason for it though. I had to leave the country to tend to my Ill grandmother whom lives in a country where if you dont have money they will let you die. So i spent 3 weeks there and used all my money to take care of her medical care.

Regardless of explanation, this is not your only baddy.  Try good willing the late.  Do not mention looking to buy home.  Usually, they want twelve to 24 months before will remove from report.  If the car loan will not remove, then do not apply now.  Wait until 12 months or more.  Gives you time to clean up the medical.

Have to open credit card accounts with credit litmit of $500 and $600 less than 10% utilization.

My income is 39K per year

I have deferred Student loans until 2018 totaling right now 44K.

You will need to bring those out of deferment, and make small payments.  You need to do this for about four or five months (or more?), for it to count.  I presume you are gong IBR.

My quesiton is how do i get my mortgage scores to come up? and how do i get around the new FHA rules about deferred student loans. If they count 1% of the deferred loans that puts me way over the DTI ratio. My car payment is 375 per month and i have two years left on it. and my minimum payment on both cards is $25 each.

Do i quaiify for a mortgage as i stand right now in SC?

I would not do it.  The only folks would give you incredibly high interest.  And probably neither FHA nor USDA (FHA because of PIM, and USDA because of credit).  Good luck.

Thank you!

Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info!

Had I known at the time I could have asked but I'll try now maybe they'll do it with any luck. Do you think it'll make much difference on my score at this point?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I had a medical collection acct that I had paid 2 years prior. I disputed the account directly through the CRA as a HIPPA violation and it was quickly removed because the doctor's office name was listed.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the help. I disputed both collections with the CA and the CRA so we will see what happens with those. I didn't have it on my divorce decree but, then again i didn't know i was going to get stuck with his medical bill either at the time. I sent the GW letter to the auto finance company so I will keep my fingers crossed. Can i come out of deferrement if I am still in school?

Thanks

Message 8 of 10
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for all the help. I disputed both collections with the CA and the CRA so we will see what happens with those. I didn't have it on my divorce decree but, then again i didn't know i was going to get stuck with his medical bill either at the time. I sent the GW letter to the auto finance company so I will keep my fingers crossed. Can i come out of deferrement if I am still in school?

Thanks

Yes.  Do a search in this forum, and check out the student loans forum.  PS, if you can afford to pay on your bills while still in school, then think how much better off you are once you get out.

Signature needs updating
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Everyone, Thank you so much for all the help and guidance i received here. So after getting some feedback from you this is what i did. I called my car loan company and explained my situation and why i was late and why I was asking for GW to take off the late payment. After getting transfer a few times and leaving VCmails, I sent a overnight letter to them. I got a call back a couple of days later and was told they were removing it as a one time courtesy, as I have not been late with them in three years since I got the loan. Yay!

Second, i sent verification letters to the collection agencies certified and express mail with the two unpaid medical debt (which belong to my ex), i also sent a letter to the hospital revoking my HIPPA disclosure consent. and waited about 3 days to dispute on CRA with HIPPA violation note also. I guess they werent able to verify, not sure, but they came off my CR in less than a week. I spent over $50 sending all these letters express and with certified mail, but it was well worth it!

Last, I contacted my Student loan agency and asked to come off deferment and placed on a IBR plan or something similar. They sent me paperwork for income driven repayment plan, howeve its only for the older part of my loans, the new ones from this past year do not qualify because I am still in school so those would stay deferred aparently. Not sure how that works but thats what they told me. So i sent all paperwork back and now i am going to be paying about $100 a month starting next month for the ones that came out of deferement. I also opened a new Cap1 QS cc with 1000K a few days ago. So i have two credit cards now one has $600 which is a secured CAP1 and then this one. There is one thing on my credit that i forgot to mention last time. its a $122 collection from an insurance company. I called see if they woudl do PFD but they would not. So i didnt pay it nor disputed since it is mine. Is that going to be an issue, do you guys think? I checked my scores this morning and now i have

Fico8/Mortgage

Eqfx: 652/ 647

exp: 661/ 668

TU: 657/ 642

With these new scores, but pending the student loan deferement issue (my loan debt is 44K) my income is 39,5K, one daughter, car payment of $375 plus two cc payments of $25 each. UT  is less than 7% on one card, other one is brand new. I live in SC and want to apply for FHA with the down payment assistance. Do you guys think i now qualify? and can i quailfy for about $160K home or is that too much for my DTI? Also can someone recomend a good mortgage company? I really am thankful for all of your help and advise. I wouldnt have known how to deal with any of this othewise.

Thank you!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.