cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumbo: 10% down on a $1 Million Home Price?

tag
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Jumbo: 10% down on a $1 Million Home Price?

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

not that you asked... but IMHO that's a lot of mortage for that income. Not saying you won't get a loan, just saying it's a big monthly payment for that income. 

It's doable even on smaller income even, all hail itemized deductions when talking that loan size: the numbers get goofy quickly and optimizing one's withholding keeps the cash flow going.  That's not an absurd DTI at least, heck Chase et al. were willing to qualify me for 1.1M at 20% down which is a similar payment at 160K income even... yeah I side-eyed it, but if I'd had another 50K let alone 100K in income, could've pulled the trigger pretty easily and had money left over if I wasn't shopping with both hands on other things in life.  

Priorities Smiley Happy.

Where are you looking at purchasing YDKM?

In fact I'm conservative in my monthly cash flow estimates since on my paycheck each pay period (every two weeks) I give the governnment a free loan since for Fed and State withholding I give an EXTRA $500 each pay period or extra $1000 a month for taxes but get a bigger refund every April (get about $12-$15k in refund each year on married tax return), so if worse comes to worse, which I don't see it happening, I can stop giving the gov a free loan and not deduct an extra $1000 a month in taxes voluntarily. Anyway we don't plan to stop maxing out retirement accounts nor do I plan to stop giving an extra $1k in taxes a month to the gov (I look at it as forced savings) with the $1M puch price, 10% down loan. I think we can do it and still live comfortably.

Anyway, in regards to where we are purchasing, probably sherman oaks, encino area, homes are around $800k-$900K there and close enough to wife's workplace in west los angeles area. Been looking at studio city but not much at < $1M nor Toluca Lake area, priced out. I was thinking Rancho Palos Verdes at $900K range but it is a little of a drive for wife, but better for me. So generally west side, north west los angeles area. We definitely can afford Burbank, Pasadena, S. pasadena, Glendale Arcadia but don't want to go that far east if we don't have to (though some of wife's co workers do drive from these areas to west LA), again a little of a drive to wife's work in west LA. So anyway for those familair with So cal, and LA, you know trying to buy in the west side or vicinit you need at least a $1M so I'm already priced out certain areas. So Sherman Oaks, Encino is prob. where we will find out $850-$950K sweet spot. Hopefully. So the $1M is just to have extra options and hopefulyl don't need to spend that much.

Message 31 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you've done the homework already: commuting from PV/RPV/RHE is about an hour to west LA; I've done the commute to UCLA from there, it's not a whole lot of fun long term... even Culver City with the NFL offices being near the freeway wasn't fantastic.  Sadly 1M these days there is a fixer-upper in the truest sense of the word when talking single family home.

I was planning to try to get there with the second home, but going to re-evaluate options when the time comes, like everywhere it's going through changes too.  SO/Encino area probably is a good bet from what you describe.

        
Message 32 of 36
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

My first Chase contact did not get back to me, like I said I emaile her Thurs., with an attachment with detailed financial info., including any debt (zero), and she emails Friday asking if I have any debt, I replied no and re-attached detailed info. then later in day emailed her if Chase has 10% down on $1M, no response. This monring 9am, I emailed her asking if I can have a response on rate est and est payment monthly, no response. By the way I googled her and someone else has a bad review of this mortgage lender and doubts her competency for paperwork so it is not just me. Anyway, I will not try with her anymore and leave it alone. I would not be surprised if I don't hear from her, I mean with all other big banks and mortgage brokers I get same day response, the Wells and US Bank ones offering 10% down email me on weekends and at evenings, they are both really knowledgeable and good.

So during lunch I dropped by a local Chase, no mortgage banker in, but the staff called him up and I took care of my questions over the phone. I asked if Chase has 10% down on $1M, he said:

"Only 10% down up to $625,500 w/ PMI. We have 15% down above $625,500 w/ 24 mos. reserves."

So looks like I will cross Chase off my list, it's only Wells and US Bank for big banks in my area (Los Angeles) that have 10% down on $1M with 30-year Fixed rate, I am sure there are more possibly and perhaps with ARMs but I'll stick with Wells and US Bank and not do more research.

So I answered my Chase question by being proactive; I also googled Chase 10% down jumbo and it appears even when they loosened up in 2014-2015 it was 15% down on jumbos. Chase and Bank of America are identical, 10% down up to $625,500 only otherwise 15% down above $625,500.

My next step is to see if US Bank can give me a more competitive rate n a 30-year fixed 10% down on $1M, their rate now is 4.5% versus wells of 3.8%. I am not going with US Bank's 80/10/10 piggybak as the numbers come out to be more expensive (esp with variable part of HELOC starting out at 4.5% rate), I'll focus in on their 30-yr fixed against wells fargoo comparable product. It is interesting the 0.5% higher rate for US Bank is probbaly because they include LPMI in the rate/payment but Wells does not.

Now to email US Bank and ask them if they can bring down their 4.5% a bit as the market is giving me 3.8% for a comparable product.

Message 33 of 36
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

The first Chase mortgage lender emailed me back just a minute ago with (I will decline since I am looking for 10% down):

Based on information provided, below is the scenario we can provide. The minimum down payment is 15%. The good news is that based on information you provided you are eligible for a 30 year fixed with no PMI, bringing down monthly payment and avoiding the monthly PMI. Based on provided information the debt to income ratio would meet our guidelines.  However, to provide a prequalification letter we would need documentation below to complete.  

Purchase price $1,000,000.00

Loan amount $850,000.00

Rate/APR 3.5%/3.550%

Breakdown of PITI
Principal and interest $3816.88

Taxes $1041.67

Insurance $175.00

Total PITI $5033.55

The bank fees are below. You will also be responsible for 3rd party fees which are title and escrow fees.

Processing fee $595.00

Tax Service Fee $87.00

Flood Cert. $11.00

Appraisal Fee $460.00

Documents needed to complete prequalification

Last 2 years tax returns

Last 2 years W2 forms

2 current pay stubs

2 current bank statements and 401k statements All pages.

Message 34 of 36
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

US Bank is not budging on lowering rate. Starting the pre-approval/commitment process with Wells Fargo. Time to turn in the paperwork they want.

Message 35 of 36
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

US Bank is pushing their 80/10/10 piggyback mortgage on me when I asked for a lower rate on their 30-year fixed jumbo which was at 4.375%:

----------

I feel that your best option would be the 80/10/10;  Especially if you are wanting to bring more money here in the near future.  This would be a benefit to pay down in full the line of credit.  When you have a zero balance on the line of credit, you have easy access to funds for any type of emergency that can arise to your home or if an investment appears down the road you can quick access these funds.  The other point to this; is the fact that you would have a 3.625% on a 30 year fix on the first mortgage.  Please let me know your thoughts..  Thank you

--------

Anyway, I'm going to start a new thread on "my mortgage journey" to keep everyone informed the steps I have and will take turn by turn so when you are ready tp app you have an idea of what to expect from my experiences.

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.