Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just applied at NFCU (Navy Fed) !!

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Just applied at NFCU (Navy Fed) !!

I did it!

I just put in my application for a mortgage at Navy Federal Credit Union! I'm going in for the 100% financing option at 5%. Now it's just a waiting game for a loan officer while I get my paperwork together. 

I have my W2s for the past 2 years and my pay stubs for as far back as they want it. I'm sure they'll ask for bank statements, which are easily accessible. 

What I'm happy about is that I worked my butt off on making sure my credit was right. Of course, these forums (especially the Credit Card and General Credit Topics forums) really set me up well. I started out with CCT to know where I was on the credit scale. Then got in with NFCU through the now-closed option of being a member of the Navy League. I apped with Chase, Amex, and increased my limits, but decreased my utilization. Finally my mortgage numbers (mid-score 734 via myFICO) proves that it's worth the finagling. 

I just wish I could refinance my car (that I bought with horrible credit which got me a horrible rate) without feeling like I'm at risk for adverse action. Will they think that I'm shopping for credit? Regardless, I'm better today that I thought I'd be just a couple years ago. 

Any advice on how to make this process easy is gratefully welcomed.

Thank you all. Really. No, really really. Like, a lot. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cammyspot
Valued Member

Re: Just applied at NFCU (Navy Fed) !!

Congrats on your progress thus far! I have done the same processes you have done but I haven't increased my scores to your level as of yet. You might want to wait until after you close to apply for any refiancing for an auto loan. 

Starting Score: Jun 2012 TU 564 FAKO

Current Score:10/25/17 Fico 08 EQ 673, TU 647, EX 671

First Goal: 700's across the board

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting; I'll be following this thread, as I would like to get my VA mortgage through NFCU in the spring of next year. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent.. I will be following so keep posting.  

Message 4 of 6
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on all your hard work!  I will be following as well.  I would like to app in May but not sure what loan we would apply for yet.  Can't wait to hear about your progress.

Message 5 of 6
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Congatulations!!!  My VA mortgage is through NFCU and they were a real joy to work with.  The only documents they ever asked me for was for the VA Mortgage Eligibility document, which I got before applying with NFCU, and proof of homeowners insurance. They pulled my credit only once.  I asked if they would do it again right before closing and I was told no as my DTI was only 19% &, my credit scores were good.  Probably didn't hurt that I had a decent savings account with them along with my checking account.  The only thing I had to pay at closing was about $700 for the inspection and some other document fees, etc., and I just had them deduct from one of my accounts.  They were great.  I was only in underwriting for about an hour as I had called them about something and was told my file was just sent to underwriting.  They called me with an answer to my original reason for calling about an hour and 1/2 later.  I asked if they knew how long I would be in underwriting and I was told my file was already out of underwriting.  They were great to work with and I am sure you will be pleased.  Conratulations again on your soon to be new home...

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.