Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got rebucketed

tag
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Just got rebucketed

I think I may have just gotten rebucketed, as my scores dropped 30 something points -- without any lates, new inquiries or new accounts. In fact, if anything, my last inquiry fell off my EX report. How long does it take to see your score climb again after rebucketing? I am planning on getting a mortgage mid year (May to July hopefully) and wasn't sure if my scores would be good/great by the time I get the mortgage app going.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just got rebucketed

This happened to my husband.. what does this mean?

Message 2 of 6
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Here is an explaination from another thread from a few years ago. I would like to stress that this is not my own words but the words of Moderator Emeritus Tuscani...

The purpose of pools (aka scorecards, buckets, ect.) works out more to the benefit of those with derogs or very little to no history than it does them harm.

If there was only one simple bell curve including all credit files then those fortunate, extremely long established folks would have the whole top half of the score numbers scale absolutely locked up tight.

So where would that leave the person who is only beginning to build a credit history at all? Or who has had some derogs in the past but now is trying to work toward a better CR and score? They would be locked down into the basement of the score range for probably ten, twenty years or more. There's no WAY that that new user or rebuilder individual has as much good history yet as that long established individual does.

So what the pools are attempting to do is to help potential lenders figure out which of the new-credit individuals are showing characteristics which usually go on to blossom into a long clean history, and which other ones don't. The same for rebuilding individuals. By assigning relatively better scores to top of each scorecard and lower scores to the least improved, the individuals who are making progress float to the top. They actually are scoring a bit better than they would if being compared head to head with Mr. Jones who has no derogs whatsoever and has 30+ years of history already.

By trying to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, that means that amongst the pool of individuals who share certain key history elements, Customer A looks most like someone who will continue to do better and better and is not as likely to default whereas Customer B from the same group is not showing those indicators of steady improvement.

If it weren't for scorecards, IMO, it would be very difficult to get decent mortgages and accounts and loans without thirty years of history already established. That would mean that it would be like climbing an ice mountain barefoot to buy a house or a car or open a credit card before the age of at least forty or fifty.

The pools tend to be split out according to:

-Age of file (length of credit history)

-Thickness of file (number of trade lines)

-Presence of a new account (opened within past X months)

-Presence of seriously negative payment history (90+ days late, charge off, etc.)

Here is the link to the full thread: 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Rebucketing/td-p/1448458

Message 3 of 6
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Any idea when the scores will go up again after rebucketing?

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 4 of 6
cem13
Established Contributor

@aubie1kenobie2 wrote:

Thanks. Any idea when the scores will go up again after rebucketing?

I was rebucketed EXACTLY 2 years post BK7 filing.  My scores dropped about 30 points but I gained them back in a matter of a few months.

The best guess is that there are 5~7 "good" buckets and 2 "not so good" buckets.  Since my BK7, I am in the better of the "not so good bucket".  Many of us BKers will be range bound between 700~720 until the BK7 dropped off.

The question you need to figure out is WHY did you get rebucketed?  I assume you do not have any serious baddies: BK, Collections, foreclosures or lates in the past 2 years.  Typically 30 day late score drops can be made up in 2 years but 60 and 90 day lates are much tougher.

What about AAOA?  Did an old car loan drop off?  This should be easy to figure out.  However, any rebucket will be made up in a few months.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't 60+ days late hurt until they age off completely?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.