Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just had an account go to collections

tag
breakdown1987
Valued Member

Just had an account go to collections

Hoping someone would have an answer for this.

I've been in the market for my first house for over a year now. I'm actually in escrow and should be closing in three weeks. To my surprise I got a letter from a collections agency today. Apparently I had an outstanding bill for a measly $46 that I never paid. I never received any notices or phone calls either. I paid the the amount in full over the phone and asked the representive if it would show on my reports. His response was "no because it was in there office for less than a month". Apparently the account was turned over to collections on the 16th and I paid in full on the 23rd. I'm panicking right now because I think this is going to report. Anyone know for sure?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just had an account go to collections

I would not sweat it. a) it was $46 bucks and you've already paid it. b) there is not motivation for them to report it. Most collection companies use your credit as leverage to get their money and this is the reason they threaten to report it on your credit or flat out report it. They use credit as a means to get paid and get you to hand over the money, since you handed the money over with no questions asked and they only had it there for less than a month you are good. In-fact I think the letter might even state something to the effect of that if you dont pay within certain amount of time this could go on your credit and you already paid it so nothing to worry about. on that 1% of chance that it might go on the credit its easily disputed as paid before tradeline ever appeared. Just make sure you got the receipt or credit card statement with date you paid it. Once again $46 bucks I think the collection company is glad you paid them..your file is closed now.

@breakdown1987 wrote:
Hoping someone would have an answer for this.

I've been in the market for my first house for over a year now. I'm actually in escrow and should be closing in three weeks. To my surprise I got a letter from a collections agency today. Apparently I had an outstanding bill for a measly $46 that I never paid. I never received any notices or phone calls either. I paid the the amount in full over the phone and asked the representive if it would show on my reports. His response was "no because it was in there office for less than a month". Apparently the account was turned over to collections on the 16th and I paid in full on the 23rd. I'm panicking right now because I think this is going to report. Anyone know for sure?

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 2 of 3
fot1
Established Contributor

Re: Just had an account go to collections

Who knows if it will show up.. doubtfull it will that soon though.. Might want to give LO a heads up.. but this late in game you should be fine to close

Too many to list..
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.