Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just under 600 in Chicago

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just under 600 in Chicago

I recently read the post "580 or less club" and have a question similar to that reader.  My husband and I are trying to purchase a HUD home.  We have never owned a home before.  We have $8000 saved for down payment, after which we will have approximately 10 months mortgage in reserve after closing.  We are two years discharged on a bankruptcy due to medical bills and being overextended on our rental payments.  I have been paying $700/month for rent for the past 5 years while being a full-time student and working only during the summer months.  I have researched the entire process and waited and prayed to make sure I wasn't rushing in.  I pay my own utilities in my apartment which total 1.5 times my rent.  So During the winter months I sometimes get behind, but ALWAYS ALWAYS bring it current in the summer.  Recently my husband was awarded his social security payments, which we have been waiting 8 years for.  This gives us documented, steady income now which according to all calculations, the mortgage will be approximately 33% of his income.  His median score is 600 and mine is somewhere around 525.  Why are we having such a hard time getting a lender or even a realtor to work with us on this one?  I know its a tough situation, but definitely not an impossible one.

Signed,

Looking for a yes man!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just under 600 in Chicago

Hopefully someone who knows more will see this and post. I am not sure if he would have to show a certain amount of time in getting SS before they would count the payments or not. 33% housing is a tad high, are you including taxes, insurance & pmi in that calculation? Do you have any other income? Any other debt? And what is keeping your scores down? 2 years out of BK they should be a little higher than that. Have you checked your reports for errors since the BK to make sure everything is reporting correctly?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

a couple notes.

they may well require ss income to mature before they accept that.  They usually want 2 years of steady doucmented income.  I am not sure how tha works with ss.

33% debt for housing is higher than the standard which is usually 31% Max

Any lates post BK (especially just 2 years out of BK) is a hurdle that is very hard to get over

Scores generally need to be 620 or more.

You can still get loans under 620, but you have to have a really strong file.  In this case, it does not appear that you do.  No offense meant, but in this market a lender is not going to loan to someone who is 2 years out of BK, has DTI higher than the standard max, admittedly gets behind on bills during some months, has low FICO scores, and does not have a steady stream of income going back 24 months.  You will probably need to be able to show 12 months with zero lates, 620 FICO scores, and have some established income history to get an approval.

Having the reserves does help, but it would probably not counter all the negative items as far as getting an approval goes.  Again, no offense, just being honest. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

so to kind of answer the question, if you are trying to buy a house now, it is probably not possible.  If you want advice on how to prepare to buy a house in the future then:

make all bill payments on time for 12 months and keep very good records (bills and receipts)  this includes utilities.  Make sure the utilities are in the name fo whoever is going to be on the loan so they can count them as non-standard credit references.

Open up a secured credit card and use it very wisely (always pay it down to less than 10% utilization every month.

Keep saving what you can to get more down payment and reserves.

Message 4 of 6
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

You need to look at your credit reports and find out why your scores are so low. The only other thing I can suggest is calling your local USDA office and see if you may have a shot going USDA direct.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 5 of 6
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

USDA would'nt be avilable in Chicago.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.