Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keys after closing

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Keys after closing

I'm wondering how many of you were able to get the keys to your house after closing was over?  Does that vary by state to state I wonder?  On HGTV they ALWAYS get their keys after closing, but unless we do table funding, I don't.  In Oregon, from my understanding and experience, the loan has to FUND before you get the keys and can take over the house.

Thanks for sharing your info.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: Keys after closing

I think HGTV does it a little different ... remember they also shop for 3 houses, make an offer, get funded, and close all in under 30 mins  Smiley Happy

all loans have to fund prior to you being the acutal owner and most states still make you wait until the loan funds and the deed is recorded before the house being yours.  So it's pretty normal for it to be a day or so after the closing before getting keys.

Message 2 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

I'm wondering how many of you were able to get the keys to your house after closing was over?  Does that vary by state to state I wonder?  On HGTV they ALWAYS get their keys after closing, but unless we do table funding, I don't.  In Oregon, from my understanding and experience, the loan has to FUND before you get the keys and can take over the house.

We were having a baby when ours closed, but our agent called in a locksmith, had all the locks changed, and brought us the new keys at the hospital.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed on 7/22 and we received the keys that day. One copy our agent had and the other copy was at the sellers' attorneys office which was where the closing was held. I'm in NYC so I'm sure things work alittle differently but I think it depends on how it takes from closing to get funded and recorded.

Message 4 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in VA and it was us, both real estate agents, the seller and her DIL, our LO (that surprised me), and the settlement folks. Like on TV, the seller pulled out a bag once the paperwork was signed and gave us keys and garage door openers. It was pleasant and cordial, but nerve-racking because I lost my settlement check minutes before the settlement. Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

llecs! Did you find the check?

Message 6 of 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@p- wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

We were having a baby when ours closed, but our agent called in a locksmith, had all the locks changed, and brought us the new keys at the hospital.

HOW fun!  That's so nice to be able to take the baby home to the new house. 

Message 7 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

llecs! Did you find the check?

After 15 minutes of sheer terror, and 15 minutes after the closing began, I found it! I only went to a couple of places. Ordered the cashier's check from Citibank, then went to the post office, then went to my other bank for some lunch money before going into settlement. I started backwards in time to retrace my steps and I calmly walked out of the settlement meeting and called my local bank. They said they found it on a counter top. Glad nobody took it. Thankfully the settlement office was 5 minutes away!

Message 8 of 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

What a nightmare!  silly.

Message 9 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

@p- wrote:

HOW fun!  That's so nice to be able to take the baby home to the new house. 

It would have been - but being a short sale I had a few weeks worth of work before we could even start moving.   It was unfinished construction...  So I had to add floors, do some painting and light plumbing, etc.  Well worth it, though.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.