Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LO says 7k too much saved for USDA?!?!

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

LO says 7k too much saved for USDA?!?!

So my friend just went to a new mortgage company. He didnt do USDA before and now he does. I really want to use him because we are close and he would do whats best for me, not his pocket. I have all of the paperwork together SSC, ID, W2s, Paystubs, etc, and asked him how much we should have saved before we start. He said they dont do USDA if you have more than 7k in liquid assets. So he suggested to move some to a family members account, and just keep between 3-5k and be willing/ready to spend it all.

Anyone else ever been limited on the amount of money you were allowed to have? What other odd stipulations have you come accross with these loans. Just trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: LO says 7k too much saved for USDA?!?!

Before you give the money away, I would consider a number of options...  Educational Savings Accounts for your kids,  roth IRA, traditional IRA....   

there are things you can do with this extra money...  If you have a car loan or something of that nature, You can pay down the principle on your car.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

Before you give the money away, I would consider a number of options...  Educational Savings Accounts for your kids,  roth IRA, traditional IRA....   

there are things you can do with this extra money...  If you have a car loan or something of that nature, You can pay down the principle on your car.

You can also do a "uniform gift to minors"  where you gift the money and its tax free.   You can load it onto a Pre-paid visa and use it for furnishings after you get the house...  erm... lots of options Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I would never just spend money to spend it lol you have given me great options! I dont have children, and already have retirement set up, so I think I'll go with the preloaded cards, because we will for sure need appliances and furniture. I just didnt know what to do with the extra cash.

Thought it was a strange stipulation though haha

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 4 of 31
languedoctor
Valued Member

My best guess is that requirements like these are meant to ensure that rural development mortgages are loans-of-last-resort.

The broker I worked with on my recent purchase told me that she's not supposed to send a mortgage through USDA if she can get approval through other means. I don't know whether that's a rule of thumb or a formal policy, but my guess is that's what's going on: the LO is not supposed to ask for a 100% federal guarantee if the borrower can swing an FHA down payment.

Barclay's Aviator Red | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Freedom | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select | Discover It
(too dumb to figure out images)
Message 5 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I feel kind of bad now. I mean, we can do FHA, we just preferred to do USDA. We are first time home buyers and want to keep as much money on hand. We dont know what to expect with owning a home, and want to be prepared. While we might have more than 7k saved, we dont want to get a house and not be able to buy appliances, furniture, lawnmowers, etc.

I'll keep it aside for now.

Message 6 of 31
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If he just bought a CD with the money would that work ?  It wouldn't exactly count as "liquid" anymore...is that right ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

the only issue with not having it liquid is that the money will be tied up and we wont have access to it. I just wanted to spend about 5k getting in and have another 3k-5k to sit on for a nest egg/unexpected housing needs.

Message 8 of 31
FrugalRican
Blogger

If you tie the money up in a CD, it's technically still liquid.

You'll just take a penalty on the interest for early withdrawal.

I wouldn't spend, just to spend, just to meet a requirement.

You'd be better off just withdrawing the money and putting it in a safe if that's the case (as long as you're not doing anything for a few months).

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 9 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

its about 2 and a half months away, so pretty much any money we save past this point has to be kept elsewhere. We dont have a safe and her mom offered to open a savings account at the bank she works for in her name and then close it when we get the house.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.