cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LO says 7k too much saved for USDA?!?!

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: LO says 7k too much saved for USDA?!?!

@webhopper wrote:

@Jazzzy wrote:

Aren't we all talking about committing fraud here? Didn't your loan officer suggest committing fraud?

Won't you be asked to sign something stipulating the amount you have...be it in a checking or savings account...or hiding in someone else's account or hidden in a safe deposit box?

Doesn't it bother you that you would be using funds that are earmarked for people who don't have the total assets that you do?

I agree that giving the money for someone to hold for you wouldn't be right... but doing a legal deposit into a retirement account shouldn't be any issue.  We are all supposed to be depositing enough in our retirement accounts anyways in order for us to have enough money later on in life.

+100

This is probably a bank requirement rather than a USDA requirement. The OP has a lot to lose if he doesn't follow the rule to the letter. Best to be safe and put the money in a retirement account.

Message 21 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

If it were in my retirement, I wouldnt be able to buy appliances, and would lose my savings, living paycheck to paycheck. I dont want to do that.

Say I spent that money today on appliances and furniture... Id be right where their liquid asset requirement needed to be. Then would anyone think that was wrong? Nope.

So instead Im going to put it on cash cards, that way I can buy those things once I get the house. As Im sure everyone knows you cant buy furniture when you dont know the layout and you cant get appliances when you dont know your kitchen measurements. I dont think its wrong, but wasnt seeking advice in the matter.

The original post was just inquiring about others strange USDA stipulations. To see if there is anything else I should prepare for.

I feel fine with my morals, thank you Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 22 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

If it were in my retirement, I wouldnt be able to buy appliances, and would lose my savings, living paycheck to paycheck. I dont want to do that.

Say I spent that money today on appliances and furniture... Id be right where their liquid asset requirement needed to be. Then would anyone think that was wrong? Nope.

So instead Im going to put it on cash cards, that way I can buy those things once I get the house. As Im sure everyone knows you cant buy furniture when you dont know the layout and you cant get appliances when you dont know your kitchen measurements. I dont think its wrong, but wasnt seeking advice in the matter.

The original post was just inquiring about others strange USDA stipulations. To see if there is anything else I should prepare for.

I agree that gift cards would not be immoral..  Everyone knows that gift cards can't be redeemed for cash and that they have no cash value, it says so right on the card. sure you can sell them for cash value on the gift card exchange market, but they aren't a liquid asset at that point. 

A lot of people go and take out loans or store ccs for furniture, appliances, etc.   I always believed in paying cash for those things... I mean, lets face it, a new couch from a store is a semi-luxury item.   I don't believe in financing luxuries.

But again, everyone's moral compass is different Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I agree that gift cards would not be immoral..  Everyone knows that gift cards can't be redeemed for cash and that they have no cash value, it says so right on the card. sure you can sell them for cash value on the gift card exchange market, but they aren't a liquid asset at that point. 

A lot of people go and take out loans or store ccs for furniture, appliances, etc.   I always believed in paying cash for those things... I mean, lets face it, a new couch from a store is a semi-luxury item.   I don't believe in financing luxuries.

But again, everyone's moral compass is different Smiley Very Happy

I dont find it immoral at all. If I were the lender, as this isnt a USDA stipulation, I would feel comforted knowing someone didnt want to put themself in that situation just to get into a new home, but rather wait and be as prepared as possible... thats just me though.

I think my moral compass is fine, just not made of ivory Smiley Wink

thanks for the feedback!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 24 of 31
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

Is your Ira a Roth Ira? If so, has it been open for 5 years? I believe after five years it's a penalty free withdrawal. I believe you can put up to 5k a year in it. If my numbers are off someone correct me but this could be your solution.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

401k Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 31
ceejx
Established Contributor

Figured I'd throw my $0.02 in Smiley Happy You could always put the money in a short term CD, maybe 6 months or 12 months. Wouldn't be sitting in your account and would make a tiny return off of it and get it back quick enough that you could use it again.

Message 27 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

In a CD its still liquid assets
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 28 of 31
ceejx
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
In a CD its still liquid assets

you're right, oh well...worth a try Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 31
HopefulGardner
New Contributor

Just throwing in my .02, Jazzy is actually right, it is actually a USDA stip. Even though the USDA Direct would probably be more strict in terms, USDA Guaranteed also have to comply with those stipulations. The program as whole is in fact in place to be a last resort to those who cannot obtain financing or come up with down payment money. It has many similar characteristics of a DA program, where if you have a certain amount of money available to you, you are discouraged/disallowed to accept the benefits of the program. ALL lenders are required to make sure that the applicant has exasperated all other options and are truly in the very low income or low to moderate brackets. SO in truth it is fraudulent if your LO tells you to basically get rid of the money, or in other words get rid of any proof that you have expendable money. And, yes they advise people to do the same all the time, just like any other sales consultant. At the end of the day if you feel no remorse towards it that is totally up to you, cops aren't going to come knocking on your door asking what happened to that 7k you had the other day. But in the bigger picture, yes it does take from available funds to the more needy.

BTW I'm not judging you I'm just letting you know, because I don't think you understood whose restrictions they were and for what reason.

Starting Score: FICO Lender 7/2012: EQ 598 TU 643 EX 640
Current Score: MyFico 04/14/13 EQ 684 TU 650
01/13/13 Lender EX 677
Goal Score:700's All Bureaus

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.