cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LO won't lock rate until they receive appraisal report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LO won't lock rate until they receive appraisal report?

I have submitted the loan application, got pre-qualified, and RPA was signed by both parties, good credit, good income, 20% down, etc. 

I asked my LO to lock a rate for me, he said they need to wait til appraisal is done and report is out. Sounded okay to me, so I waited, and waited, the whole appraisal process took 2 weeks, the report is still being finalizied. (so slow!!!)

I can't wait to lock a low rate (as of today it's 3.8%). Is is normla for a bank nowaday not to lock a rate until they see the appraisal  report?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: LO won't lock rate until they receive appraisal report?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have submitted the loan application, got pre-qualified, and RPA was signed by both parties, good credit, good income, 20% down, etc. 

I asked my LO to lock a rate for me, he said they need to wait til appraisal is done and report is out. Sounded okay to me, so I waited, and waited, the whole appraisal process took 2 weeks, the report is still being finalizied. (so slow!!!)

I can't wait to lock a low rate (as of today it's 3.8%). Is is normla for a bank nowaday not to lock a rate until they see the appraisal  report?

I would say that it is not normal.  Most lenders will allow a interest rate lock in anytime after formal loan application.

Message 2 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

My rate was locked as soon as we had the signed purchase agreement. It was locked before inspections and appraisals. So that's weird, maybe your bank policy? I went FHA. You?
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@namvet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say that it is not normal.  Most lenders will allow a interest rate lock in anytime after formal loan application.

Namvet is right...if you have the contract and formal application, why would they not want to lock??    Do you have a long time before your scheduled closing?

Was your GFE showing a particularly low interest rate or low closing costs?

Message 4 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

not normal

they have probably broken a lot of locks lately and mgt is trying to keep that from happening by waiting for the appraisal so they can be sure they have a deal.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 7
namvet
Established Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

not normal

they have probably broken a lot of locks lately and mgt is trying to keep that from happening by waiting for the appraisal so they can be sure they have a deal.

Not in my experience.  Deal or no deal!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rate locked after my appraisal. It was lower than the rate I was previously quoted so it worked out for me. Hope it works out in your favor too!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.