Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last Minute Score Hail Mary

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last Minute Score Hail Mary

I just went into UW yesterday so this may be too little too late, but I still wanted to ask.  My husband and I are buying a house under my name only and my mid score is 635.  Everything else in my file looks good but I'm still freaking out because.... well, because that's just what you do when you're in UW.  I'm a secondary on one of my husband's cards that's at a high util ($2800/$3100).  Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remove myself from that account, my score would jump because my overall util would drop, correct?  I have several other lines of credit with low util and have aged enough but I know typically you don't want to close accounts while waiting for the mortgage fairy to appear and grant you keys to your new house.
Seeing as how I've made it this far in the process, should I just go on my merry way and leave things as they are OR should I remove myself in hopes of upping my score and getting a better rate?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Last Minute Score Hail Mary

since you are already in underwriting, i suggest you not do anything unless the underwriting makes it a condition.

Good Luck!!!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Always discuss any changes to your credit profile with your LO

Message 3 of 4
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

since you are already in underwriting, i suggest you not do anything unless the underwriting makes it a condition.

Good Luck!!!

I agree 100% with this!  We just received our CTC today after a rather bumpy loan approval process.  At this point, don't do anything that may potentially affect your credit without speaking to your LO first and getting his/her blessing.  They will guide you through the process.

Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.