Did you mean: 

Late Payment after FHA Preapproval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late Payment after FHA Preapproval

@Anonymous wrote:

We were looking at an 8/1 close.

I would call the cc company and GW them on my hands and knees BEFORE they report because that 30 day late will surely be on your report before 8/1, (if it isn't there already). If you can't get the cc company to not report it, start working on a LOE now for your LO. You don't want to be messing with that a day or two before you close.

Message 11 of 18
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I think your only chance of approval now is to get that late payment off your reports (or stop it from reporting).

You said you have marginal scores to begin with.  A loan underwriter is going to freak out about a late payment during the application process.  

I think you should be prepared for a decline.  Sorry to say that.

How would they explain their approval to the ultimate investors, FNMA/FHLMC?

I thought that the guidelines were not 30 day or more lates in the previous 12 months, but I'm not sure if that's true for FHA.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

I think your only chance of approval now is to get that late payment off your reports (or stop it from reporting).

You said you have marginal scores to begin with.  A loan underwriter is going to freak out about a late payment during the application process.  

I think you should be prepared for a decline.  Sorry to say that.

How would they explain their approval to the ultimate investors, FNMA/FHLMC?

I thought that the guidelines were not 30 day or more lates in the previous 12 months, but I'm not sure if that's true for FHA.

I just ran a simulation on my own credit score and lost 84 points for a new 30-day late.Smiley Surprised I knew it was going to be a significant drop, but wow, that's bad.

For FHA you can't have any mortgage lates in the last 12 months, but other lates can sometimes be overlooked. They might cause a downgrade to refer, but might not cause an automatic denial. I don't know what happens when you have a late payment after pre-approval but before closing. I don't imagine it's going to be pretty.

OP, you REALLY need to make sure that 30 day late does not report. I do think it's going to cause a real problem - especially if, as you say, your credit score was borderline to begin with.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This whole thing is giving me terrible anxiety OP. I hope everything turns out ok...

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're telling me.  I am physically ill.  Our previous attempt at home buying was thwarted due to us paying a $100 collection before asking for a delete letter.  That collection stayed on as paid and dropped our scores about 75 points. 

Message 15 of 18
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We were looking at an 8/1 close.

I would call the cc company and GW them on my hands and knees BEFORE they report because that 30 day late will surely be on your report before 8/1, (if it isn't there already). If you can't get the cc company to not report it, start working on a LOE now for your LO. You don't want to be messing with that a day or two before you close.

+1

A 30 day late can knock 100 points off your score. 

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late Payment after FHA Preapproval *UPDATE - BOA IS DELETING!*

Just FYI for everyone, BOA has agreed to delete the late.  This was after numerous emails to the CEO, etc. and calls to customer service.  

For future desperate borrowers, anything is possible!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 18
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Late Payment after FHA Preapproval *UPDATE - BOA IS DELETING!*

congratulations!!!!  i am happy it worked out for you.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.