cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lender advised us that we can have two mortgages...

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Lender advised us that we can have two mortgages...

lemmus...you've scared even me.  ROFL

i'm thankful that we got a good tenant.  she was a referral from a friend who owns several rental properties and didn't have any vacancies.  we are doing everything on our own.  I kept our home warranty insurance to cover any home repairs, and put in the lease that the tenant had to get their rental insurance through us....we pay the ins agent, and she pays us as a part of the rent.  

we also set up payment of rent so that it's an electronic transfer that can be done online.  we have not had any issues...the tenant is great and has told us that she would like to stay as long as we will allow her to, which is fine with me....we will sell it as soon as she decides to move.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long have you done it for? 

Do you do most of the stuff on your own?

Message 12 of 19
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Since your current house is "under water" but you qualify for the new home, my recommendation is that you focus on moving on  with your life by buying the new home and renting the other. You can reconsider selling it every time the rental contract approach expiration. Remember that savings is about paying for your life's needs. Consider that owning a home for your family is also about life's needs.

All the best to you.

Message 13 of 19
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...frugal ...didn't mean to scare anyone ...just point out that the wrong tenants can be hell ...but good tenants are a treasure ...we had one family rent for almost 15 years and never had a single problem with them ...house was in much better condition when they finally left than when they moved in ...but it only takes one rotten egg, eh

...finally went to using a property mgr and it was like day and night

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's true. After reading this and everyone suggesting we just rent the place out, we have been doing research and calling around asking questions. Seems like this is the best option.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just spoke to a PM and she said the same thing as you. She also mentioned right now is a good market and there many looking to rent as well. She gave me the estimate rent in the area and she said my home fits right in there. She really believes it will work.

I'm going to keep calling around and do more research.

Any more advice please share. Thank you.
Message 16 of 19
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...ask for references and check them carefully ...look for many years in business ...check your local BBB as well ...as in any business, there are scumbags who take your money and run ...trying not to be negative, just don't want you to get burned before you reach first base, eh 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the tip!
Message 18 of 19
inthewoods
New Contributor

Did you sign a purchase agreement without a contingency on selling your current home? You have a regular financing contingency, at least, right? I think you should try to find a way to exercise a contingency.

I really don’t think it’s a good idea to carry two mortgages, unless you are very confident you can find reliable long-term renters and that you eventually will be able to sell it without a short sale. Though, I guess you have decent financial margins, given that you think a bank will deem you capable of covering two mortgage payments.

How important is it for you to move right now? Are you moving for work, family, or …? Would it be practically possible for you to stay in your home until you have saved up enough to avoid a short sale? If not, you might have to buy a house now, since banks may be less inclined to lend to you following a shortsale.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.