cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lender doesn't seem as responsive. How much should I push?

tag
5oClockSomewhere
Contributor

Lender doesn't seem as responsive. How much should I push?

We've been under contract since mid-July.  We were pre-approved with our lender whom I found through a very well-known internet referral source.  The company has great reviews, and the LO has always been personable and easily accessible, despite our never having met him.  Just after our offer was accepted he told our realtor directly that he thought we could close the 2nd week of August.  Our contract states we'll close prior to 8/31.

We heard on 8/16/10 that we had a "conditional approval."  Our LO seemed genuinely irritated that while our application was fine through AU, for whatever reason we were being reviewed manuall by the UW.  I've never seen an official list of conditions, but our LO said they were to pay off a charge off from 2005, have dispute notes removed from 2 accounts (one on my credit, one on his--both were old disputes that hadn't been removed), and to write a letter of explanation basically for anything negative on our reports (didn't matter how old).  We told the LO we had the money to pay the charge off, and we wrote the letter of explanation.  LO said that to expedite things, the credit company they use would be contacting us and then conferencing the original creditor to confirm there's no active dispute and then they'd update our report manually.  We were first told about this process on Wed, 8/18.  LO said to hold off on paying the charge off until we have the disputes removed since that would have a faster turn-around, and that he'd get back with me if he needed any changes to the letter of explanation.

I was out of town for business on Thurs and Fri (8/19 and 8/20).  On Friday AM I confirmed with DH that he hadn't gotten any credit calls, so I emailed our LO for an update.  Didn't get any response, so I called him this morning and left a voicemail.  Still no response I emailed him earlier this afternoon.  At about 4PM I called him again and he answered.  During my phone call I got the "read receipt" from my email, so I'm thinking my phone call triggered him to read an email (that maybe he was ignoring?).  His only news was that the updates on the disputes are in progress.  He asked me if we'd gotten the phone calls and I told him we hadn't--holding my tongue that I'd been telling him that since last week.  He said he'd check into it and then get "right back" to me.

I just get the feeling that he's not as reponsive as he once was.  He told me last week (and our realtor also) that he is looking at us closing at the end of this week.  I'm getting really nervous that we've given our notice and have to be out of our rental on 8/31 (nevermind needing time to clean our townhouse before turning the keys over).  How much should I push our LO?  If I am firm and he gets irritated with me, is there anything stopping him from just dropping us altogether?  Should I leave him alone and let him do his thing?

Beginning last Monday, this home buying endeavor has turned absolutely miserable.  This not knowing what's going on and what's going to happen is really getting to us.  At this point, even if they said "no, we won't do the loan" I'd almost be relieved that we had an aswer.  I appreciate any guidance anyone can give.

"May the scores be with you!"
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lender doesn't seem as responsive. How much should I push?

This is the same experience I had. The broker I was using was on top of everything at first, answering all of my calls and e-mails promptly until I got to the underwriting stage. Once my file was in underwriting he was acting like he had no idea of what was going on for like 2 weeks. Then finally the underwriter denied the loan because they did not like the property. I think the broker knew the denial was coming and just moved on to being readily available to someone else with a new application. I hope you are not going to be denied,and I am sending good vibes your way.  I would say to push him and keep calling him to make him stay on top of things. It seems like they slack off towards the end or when they know what the outcome might be. Keep us posted.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your LO should know what the conditions are --  the underwriter has to disclose those.  Also, the LO should know why it was sent to manual.  I would press the LO for answers -- or move on to another.  We used a local mortgage office to close our loan, and the reason is I wanted to meet someone in person who was going to handle our loan.  Some of the larger loan shops have so many loans going on right now with the low rates, it is hard to get personal service.

Message 3 of 6
5oClockSomewhere
Contributor

Thanks for the responses.  I think today/tomorrow I'm really going to put the pressure on our LO and see if he's going to make things happen for closing this week.  Sitting here Tuesday morning I just find it very hard to believe that it will.  Since our contract expires 8/31/10, and we'd have to ask the seller for an extension, I'm thinking that everyone would be more sympathetic if we told them we were changing lenders also. 

I think our realtor would share our frustration because she's spoken directly to our LO and was there when he was great and nice and saying we'd close the 2nd week of August, then when he'd drop off the face of the earth and not return calls. 

Do you know if we changed lenders, what all would we have to pay for again?  We paid for the appraisal (which our LO said we'd get refunded for because of not having some disclosure signed before they took money, and then pay again at closing), we paid for a home inspection, and the seller paid for the WDO which is clear.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would have to pay for a new appraisal if it is a new lender.   I would see if I could get in contact with your LO's supervisor or higher up and explain your difficulty reaching him. 

Message 5 of 6
5oClockSomewhere
Contributor

He's doing better today.  I suspect that my phone call to him last night might have prompted him to do some things he could have done last week, but thanks to this board perhaps I'm a little too knowledgable about the process!

Keep sending positive vibes.  I don't see how we can close this week, but our contract expires 8/31/10... maybe by then.  I've quit guessing!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.