Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lender lock in rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lender lock in rate

We are about to close in about a month on a home we are buidling. We got pre approved with conditions. One of them being I needed to get my mid score up 6 points to 620. (my husband had his already at 620) This was in Feburary of this year. Since then I had two collections hit my husband's and I credit and our scores dropped!. Now three months later our scores our increasing BUT not yet where they need to be when we close. My mid score 605, my husband 610. I have been working on increasing our points and feel good about giving it another month to increase our scores even more. The lender pulled our credit yesterday to lock in rate. I saw an inquiry alert this morning. They havent reached out to us yet. Im sure they will soon. Im not familar with what will happen. We are first time home buyers.

Can anyone tell me what most likely will happen?

Will they say "forget it and stop the process and not let us (TRY) to close in a month?

Can they even lock in a rate with our scores not where they need to be?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lender lock in rate

Conventional loans require 620 minimum, but I'm assuming you are going FHA.

FHA minimum requirement is usually 580, but some lenders have overlays that require 620 or 640.

So to answer your question, it really depends on your lender. They may allow sub-620 scores that come with increased pricing (higher rate) or additional contingencies (more reserves required, etc.).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.