Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenders - Any Way I Can Be Refinanced??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lenders - Any Way I Can Be Refinanced??

I own a home in Washington State and have an interest only loan at 6.5% on $512,000. The home was appraised last year for $640,000. It would probably sell right now closer to $600-625K, not that we have any plans on selling. I read the Home Owner Affordability and Stability Play, and got to thinking that I'd like to refinance for a traditional (interest & principal) loan at a lower rate. I'm fine with my current payment, but at a lower rate I could be making the same payment while also paying down the principal which would make me feel a lot better about depreciating real estate values.

I obtained my current loan through stated income because according to debt to income ratios I "can't afford" my house payment on my income of $78,000 a year. I live pretty frugally in the other areas of my life, and have been making the payments on time since I purchased the house 3 years ago. Also, my boyfriend and I have lived in the house together for the past two years and he contributes to the expenses, but because he's not on the title I had to do a stated income loan to get financing, and of course that was back when they were readily available.

Lenders, is there any where I'd be able to get financing given the above scenario and credit around 720-740? My credit report is completely clean, never had a late payment on anything. I'd love some advice/thoughts!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BuckiRob
Established Member

Re: Lenders - Any Way I Can Be Refinanced??

Check with your current lender or whomever is servicing your mortgage.   They are going to be much more familar with your payment history....

That said, most underwritting is going to look at your debt/equity ratio and your income to debt service ratio.  If those numbers are off they arent going to touch you espeically in this environment.

Message 2 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

loan modification with current lender might be best.

i they know that you want to go P&I then that might peak their interest.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip, that is probably a good point. The only thing I'd wonder is since I'm not in trouble and my lender isn't facing the possibility of losing money on me because of default or foreclosure, would they really be willing to modify the loan to a lower interest rate? When a loan is modified, do you pay points like you might for a regular refi?

Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

typically, the modification has a few processing fees. very minimal.

no way to know what they will say.

order a payoff... maybe they will initiate a call to you <= i have seen this happen.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should I go about asking for a loan modification? Should I make it clear that I'm not in trouble, or should I hope they assume I am since banks are doing mods to keep people out of foreclosure? Should I contact my original loan officer, or just stop by the branch?

Any tips would be much appreciated as I'm a tad nervous about asking for a favor from the bank that basically owns my home! I know they can't take away the mortgage they've already given me, but I'm a little unsure of how to go about asking for a 1-2% interest rate decrease.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.