cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenders Requiring Closing Costs at Time of Application?

tag
Hooosier
Contributor

Lenders Requiring Closing Costs at Time of Application?

As mentioned previously, we plan on purchasing at home this winter (early 2015) in the 400K range.  When we apply for the mortgage I'm assuming the lender will require us to show proof of having 20K in reserves in a savings account.  Do all lenders also require us to show we have the money for closing costs (assumed to be in the 10K range), as well?  So would we have to show we have 30K or more in reserves at the time of the application?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Lenders Requiring Closing Costs at Time of Application?

I am by no means an expert but I don't think they would as you can have the seller help with the closing costs built into the contract.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Lenders Requiring Closing Costs at Time of Application?

You can get pre-approved without having any money saved up at all, but the pre-approval would be contingent upon you having the down payment (+ any other funds to close, such as the closing costs if another party isn't paying them) before closing, as well as explaining where the down payment will be coming from (i.e. gift, saving up from your own paychecks, etc.)

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.