Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lending Club vs HELOC

tag
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

Lending Club vs HELOC

Closed on a house last week. Was hoping to get a loan for remodeling. Should I try HELOC before I try Lending Club? i'm obviously very new to this.

EQ 715. 

7 years AAOA

Single.

Mortgage is $140K

Hoping to get a remodel loan of around $30K.

The single family house is livable (up to code). The remodel loan is for pure aesthetics reason & to increase sq. footage (and of course to increase value), if that helps.

Any advice helps. thanks, myfico.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
04Cobra
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lending Club vs HELOC

Congrats on your new home! I HELOC will have generally have lower rates than LC.You might be able to get more exposure if this was moved to the mortgage forum. Sorry I can't be more of assistance. 

Discover $21k | Venture $20k | Quicksilver $15k | NICU Rewards MC $13.5k | Costco $14.5k | Citi Costco $12.5k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $10k | Barclay Apple $9.6k | Best Buy MC $10k | Merrick Bank Visa (formerly Hooters) $2.6k |
Message 2 of 7
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I didn't know where to post this. 

Moderator, can you move this to mortgage? If not I can start a new thread in there..

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say what your mortgage is, but you don't say what the value of the home currently is. HELOCs go up to 80% as most mortgages will, and some HELOCs go higher, but they're a little harder to find. 

An alternative to Lending Club is Prosper (no dealings with either) and SoFi. I've used SoFi to refi my student loans. I've done the SP pre-qual for a personal loan with them and I think it's a pretty good deal for me. I applied for a HELOC yesterday with US Bank. If it ends up not working out, I may take the SoFi loan. 

Message 4 of 7
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You say what your mortgage is, but you don't say what the value of the home currently is. HELOCs go up to 80% as most mortgages will, and some HELOCs go higher, but they're a little harder to find. 

An alternative to Lending Club is Prosper (no dealings with either) and SoFi. I've used SoFi to refi my student loans. I've done the SP pre-qual for a personal loan with them and I think it's a pretty good deal for me. I applied for a HELOC yesterday with US Bank. If it ends up not working out, I may take the SoFi loan. 

The value of the home currently is around $160K. 

Maybe I will apply for HELOC and LC/Prosper concurrently and go for the best rate?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELOC is likely out for you. You're at 87.5% LTV as it is. Again, it's worth at least checking out SoFi. They're new to the personal loan game, from what I can tell, but I got a better rate from them (doing SP pre-qual) than the charts at Prosper said I could expect from them. It could be because I already have a relationship, but it's worth the soft pull if you're going to do one of the options regardless. 

Message 6 of 7
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Transunion reads lending club as a finance company loan for some reason even though it is unsecured loan. Finance Company label hurts the score and when I pull reports on MyFico it has it in the negative column

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.