Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lending Tree,

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lending Tree,

How does this site work with respect to inquiries?  One pull and then distributed to banks/lendors they work with ?

Recommend for home mortgage search or not ?

thanks
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Lending Tree,

When I toyed with the idea of a mortgage, I used this site.  I filled out the required information and sent it to them.  I did not see an inquiry hit my CR from that information.

I received several calls within 48 hours, and I talked to several lenders.  Here is where it went bad, I told them that I was not interested in a mortgage now.  I wanted to just see different option and such.  I gave my information to them, but I repeated that I did not want a mortgage now.

Guess what?  3 lenders pulled my CR, even though I specifically told them I did not want to get a mortgage now.

I think they are a fairly good option, but just make sure you are 100% ready to get the mortgage now. 

Personally though, I think your local credit unions will probably beat the rates you can get on Lending Tree.  If you do not mind me asking, what are your scores?

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

me - 675,680,690, wife 630,640,638

household income of 150k per year, no recurring debt, 500 auto payment 8 mos from payed off.  Living in KC and looking at 370k home with 20K down..

what are odds of getting good rate on 30yr fixed?
Message 3 of 8
John060675
Valued Contributor

With your middle score, you should be OK with getting a fairly good rate.  However, I have heard of some lenders using the lower of the two couples middle score, which would hurt in your case.

If you have any baddies, I would get them cleaned up.  At the same time I would lower the CC utilization below 10%.  If either of these are on your CR, then cleaning it up will spike up the FICO scores. 

I would still visit a credit union and look there.  Also, I would check out the FHA website.  They might be a good option, and with only 3% down as a minimum.

I hope it helps, but there are other gurus here that are a lot more knowledgeable than me.  I am sure they will kick in their 2 cents.

Good luck!

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have seen a lot of talk on here with regard to them and home mortgage so went and took a quick peek at their site wondering if they do auto loans, which they do. Anyone have any experience with them on the auto loan side? Are they difficult to get a loan with, how are they to deal with, paperwork, customer service, etc? Thanks Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went thru them twice - about two years apart.  The auto loan companies each pulled hard inquiries.  IMHO - keep your eye on their slogan, "Receive UP TO four offers".  Four offers is exactly what I got: Capital One, Roadloans, HSBC and Citifinancial.  What is interesting is that I had the same companies make offers both times.  I think these may be the only auto loan companies on the Lending Tree program.  I could be wrong but seems like quite a coincidence.

BTW - For second loan, I walked into the dealer and told them about my scores and history.  I showed them my Capital One check but didn't tell him my % (it was 10.9%).  He made a call to Audi Financial Services and returned an offer of 5.9%!  Perform a search in these forums and you will find that the dealer has the ability to make it happen for the sale.

Hope this helps...
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks daWorm!  Did you just fill out one app w/Lending Tree and one CR was pulled by them and a whole package was submitted to all of the banks they felt might approve you and then you received 4 offers from the ones that said "yes?"  It seems like there are a lot of those companies out there that do the same kind of thing as Lending Tree.  I've seen a lot of them that apparently look to help (or so they say) or get approved people with credit problems (slow pays, bankruptcies, etc).  But I'm weary about these companies and the problem, as we all know here, is having too many pulls of your credit report. That would be great if the company you put the app in with is the only one that pulls and then THAT is submitted to the 5, 6 or 7 (or whatever) banks as opposed to you go straight to all those banks and having 5, 6, 7 (or whatever) pulls on your report. Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was two years ago but:

• I did fill out one app
  • Each company did a hard inquiry (but multiple pulls during a certain time frame do not count against you)
  • The entire process was handled online so there was no phone convo or wait time involved
  • Lending Tree and affiliates were average with follow-up
  • I think all of the affiliates used some form of the "blank check" program - this works out well as you are "pre-approved" before walking on the dealer lot. 

I dont think Lending Tree offers the best % rates out there but it is a simple, non-evasive process...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.