Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of time for age of new cards before mortgage app

tag
S7
Established Contributor

Length of time for age of new cards before mortgage app

Is it absolute that any new card(s) have to be 6mths old before being able to apply for a mortgage? And, how long does it take for scores to recover from the hit of new accounts and the inquiries? 

TOTALLY wanting/needing a new home Smiley Sad

"When you are down in the mouth, remember, everything turned out ok for Jonah."

Current FICO's(by lender) 10/9/12
EX:649, EX:651, TU:683
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ceejx
Established Contributor

Re: Length of time for age of new cards before mortgage app

@S7 wrote:

Is it absolute that any new card(s) have to be 6mths old before being able to apply for a mortgage? And, how long does it take for scores to recover from the hit of new accounts and the inquiries? 

TOTALLY wanting/needing a new home Smiley Sad

I got 4 new cards in July and one a few weeks ago as I didn't think I was going to go for a mortgage yet until I saw the house I'm buying now. My loan officer didn't bat an eye and said it wouldn't be an issue at all, just that if the UW asks, I will have to explain I got them for boosting my credit profile before a mortgage.

Message 2 of 8
thrillege
Valued Member

Its not an issue unless you've run them up. And the utilization is high to the point where it effects your DTI

Message 3 of 8
S7
Established Contributor

That makes me feel better. Smiley Happy  I hope to apply in the early months of 2013, but worried my score wont have recouped enough or that I'd be shot down for the new cc's, which i honestly did get to beef up my file as i had only one paid auto, a current auto, and an authorized user status on my father in laws bank of america.

Message 4 of 8
S7
Established Contributor

0 balance on all.

Message 5 of 8
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

They will have you write a brief letter of explanation for any inquiry 6mos before you applied.

You don't have to pay your cards down to zero, but the balances should not go UP* any higher than what they were at the time of mortgage application.

No new cards after app.  You will sail along real smoothe inyour score is over 680.  May it turn out well for you also.Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

Keep peeking out of the garden I see!!! haha... Just remember INQ or new ACCTS before trying to get a mortgage isn't really a big deal BUT INQs after you start the process can be a deal breaker.

Message 7 of 8
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

+1

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.