Established Contributor
S7

Length of time for age of new cards before mortgage app

Is it absolute that any new card(s) have to be 6mths old before being able to apply for a mortgage? And, how long does it take for scores to recover from the hit of new accounts and the inquiries? 

TOTALLY wanting/needing a new home :smileysad:

"When you are down in the mouth, remember, everything turned out ok for Jonah."

Current FICO's(by lender) 10/9/12
EX:649, EX:651, TU:683
Frequent Contributor
seigex

Re: Length of time for age of new cards before mortgage app

S7 wrote:

Is it absolute that any new card(s) have to be 6mths old before being able to apply for a mortgage? And, how long does it take for scores to recover from the hit of new accounts and the inquiries? 

TOTALLY wanting/needing a new home :smileysad:

I got 4 new cards in July and one a few weeks ago as I didn't think I was going to go for a mortgage yet until I saw the house I'm buying now. My loan officer didn't bat an eye and said it wouldn't be an issue at all, just that if the UW asks, I will have to explain I got them for boosting my credit profile before a mortgage.

Lender Pull (11/3/12) FICO EX: 740 EQ: 680 TU: 702

NFCU VISA $17.5k / USAA AMEX $6k / USAA AMEX $4k / USAA VISA $4k / CHASE FREEDOM $3k / Capital One $500
Valued Member
thrillege

Its not an issue unless you've run them up. And the utilization is high to the point where it effects your DTI

Established Contributor
S7

That makes me feel better. :smileyhappy:  I hope to apply in the early months of 2013, but worried my score wont have recouped enough or that I'd be shot down for the new cc's, which i honestly did get to beef up my file as i had only one paid auto, a current auto, and an authorized user status on my father in laws bank of america.

Established Contributor
S7

0 balance on all.

Established Contributor
JusdoNit

[ Edited ]

They will have you write a brief letter of explanation for any inquiry 6mos before you applied.

You don't have to pay your cards down to zero, but the balances should not go UP* any higher than what they were at the time of mortgage application.

No new cards after app.  You will sail along real smoothe inyour score is over 680.  May it turn out well for you also.:smileywink:

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Valued Contributor
beb86

Keep peeking out of the garden I see!!! haha... Just remember INQ or new ACCTS before trying to get a mortgage isn't really a big deal BUT INQs after you start the process can be a deal breaker.

ccpics2.jpg
Established Contributor
JusdoNit

+1

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}