Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter of explanation for BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Letter of explanation for BK

If you folks dont mind, can you rate and maybe correct this letter?

In the year 2004 i suffered several health issues regarding my kidney's that landed me in the hospital several times over that year. While i was finding myself in the hospital more often than i had hoped, my employer did not offer any kind of health insurance. The bills that piled up took its toll. I was barely living pay check to pay check, trying to avoid going to court over the massive debt, i attempted to arrange payments. Unfortunatly, there was a domino effect that caused me to fall behind in other bills as well. After receiving the summons of a law suit, i consulted an attorney, advised him of my current financial situation and he advised me to file for a chapter 7 bankruptcy, which was done in 2005.

My attorney even offered to take my case and accept a payment plan to take care of his fees. A year later my case was heard and the BK 7 was discharged. I have learned from my mistakes and take pride in my credit, since 2008 I have been responsible with my debts and In 2011 I paid several debts that were a result of my mistakes.

In 2007 I took a position in my current employer, which offers great pay, retirement and a fantastic health plan. I find myself controlling my financing with care. Later in 2009/early 2010 I sought out financial advice that I continue to use to this day. I budget all my bills and debts in to a weekly plan. Every week i take out my after taxes earnings, subtract what bills are due 2 weeks in advance and pay them off. My current revolving debt and other loans are all in good standing with no missed payments. The advice i received is sound and helpful, i have adhered to it for almost 2 full years, even passing it along to friends and family, helping some control their financing.

I have including the possible monthly payment for my new home loan in my 2012 assesment and i am happy to report that it fits in our budget perfectly.

Thank you for taking the time to review my explanation.

Sincerely,

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Letter of explanation for BK

This is how I would write the letter.  Keeping it short, explaining the why and how, and what you have done to prevent it from happening again.

In 2004, I became very ill and had several hospital stays.  I did not have medical insurance at the time.

I tried to keep up with my regular bills, while trying to pay down the medical bills.  The medical providers did not want to set up a payment plan that extended beyond three months.  Although I tried, it was financially impossible to pay all of medical bills, each time in full, within the three month deadlines they imposed.

I finally stopped robbing Peter to pay Paul and filed for Bankruptcy in 2005.   The Bankruptcy attorney created a payment plan to allow me to pay for his service.

In 2007, I bought health insurance through my current employer.  I have not been without health insurance since.

My current budget puts aside the money for co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles.   I have an emergency fund.

I do not expect to EVER be in the situation where I can not afford to pay my bills due to an emergency or catastrophe.

Sincerely,

xxx

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.