Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan Shopping

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Loan Shopping

I've come a long way in 4 years. (480 to 750 Fico) and am now trying to shop for a mortgage. Looked a lot on youtube as well these forms. I've been pre-approved and am now under contract.  3 banks offered me Conventional 30 yr but the rates are SO diff. One was Quicken but I never took them to serious are reading some reviews but from the folks that complain about quicken I see they have very low scores. 

My questions are is it better go through a broker or bank?

How to find the best rates?

Can anyone provide me good resources for learning on this matter?

Thank you

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Loan Shopping

IME, it is best to go to a mortgage banker - someone that actually funds the loan. Some brokers are also correspondent lenders and they fund the loan. Some brokers never fund - they just broker the deal, those are the least reliable in the business IME.

When you are comparing loan options, you need to compare the rate and the cost to borrow. You can do this most effectively by comparing GFE's (Good Faith Estimates). The reason you want to go to someone that actually funds the loan, as opposed to a broker that does not fund the loan, is because you will get accurate cost information based on their underwriting criteria at the time of application.  Ask people that have recently been through the process in your area which lenders they used. Ask your Realtor too. Compare loan rate and costs on the same property so you can see if they drop the rate to a very low rate...how much extra do they add to the closing costs (its a tradeoff). Compare only the fees that the lender has control over (lender fees) and not the third party fees (title and government fees). The lender has no control over what the other people charge to close your loan.

If they want to run your credit to give you the estimate - tell them you are initially comparing costs and when you select a lender you will have them run the credit. If they won't give you a GFE or a similar sheet referred to as a closing costs worksheet, then don't work with them. Its a red flag.

BTW, I'm a Realtor and have been for 30 yrs. The loan portion of purchasing is an extremely important consideration and can make the difference between having a smooth purchase or a nightmare. You want to make sure you are dealing with an experienced loan officer that understands underwriting criteria - it makes a world of difference. Many of the larger banks (Wells Fargo/ BOA) are moving to a new business model over the past 5 yrs or so where the person that takes the application is called a "loan officer" but really they don't understand the proper way to take an application.  They just fill in the blanks and submit it to a central processing location. Not a good thing when you are talking about mortgages. This is the Quicken model too. This new business model is low on cost for the lender and very low on service for the customer. If you are self employed or have 1099 income - its a real nightmare for the borrower because the loan officer doesn't understand how to properly take an app, nor read tax returns. If you are looking for service, find a loan officer that has been in the business and actually understands underwriting - and has access to an underwriter to ask questions. Your purchase or refi will be much more smooth because the issues will be anticipated at the time of application. *off soap box* 

Message 2 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

not surprised that the rates are so different..... as i bet the fees were different too.

rates & fees go hand in hand. lowest rate costs higher fees..... lowest fees costs higher  rate

you have to compare BOTH rates and fees. the hard costs controlled by the lender.... not title costs and prepaids.

do you have any numbers for us?

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

After looking at the estimates more they used a diff LTV on one and that's why the rate was so high. 

NFCU was the highest at 5.325. They said its high cause they don't charge PMI (quote was for like 85% LTV).  (0% Org & .250% Discount)

SUNTRUST was 4.325 (80% LTV) (+1% Org & -1% Discount)

and I found this new lender called RP Funding, Spoke to them this morning and they are direct lender that says they have no fees. hummm. 

I understand your thoughts about a mortgage banker but I think the down said of that is a mortgage broker has access to all the rates of each bank without applying at every bank. So if there are 30 banks the broker will know the best rate vs. me applying 30 times to find that info out. Also I value easy processing on the underwriter side if there is such a thing. 

So when I look over the estimates I compare pretty much the overall cost of the loan (fees & points, vs. rate for the time I think I will own the home)?

If I went with a Mortgage Banker how can I find the best rate if there are so many of them?

Sorry for the delay in response and Thank You for your time to educate me and the MyFico Clan

Message 4 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I didn't really explain the difference between a mortgage banker and a mortgage broker all that well. First let me say that an experienced and talented mortgage broker is an excellent resource and worth their weight in gold. They are increasingly difficult to find now, for every good one, there are 100 that don't know what they are doing. (Kind of like Realtors...easy to get the license, but not easy to know the business!)Smiley Sad

A mortgage banker has access to many, many lenders too. What a mortgage banker does is actually originate and fund the loan. They may use their own funds or borrow funds from a warehouse lender to fund the loan. Then, usually at the closing table or shortly thereafter, they sell the loan so you actually end up with someone like Chase or Wells Fargo for example. The mortgage banker underwrites the loan, funds the loan and then sells the loan (and/or servicing rights) to one of many, many lenders with which they work. When a mortgage banker gives you an approval, you have an actual commitment and you know the loan will be funded, unless you do something to change your financial status before closing.

A mortgage broker brings borrowers and lenders together, but does not fund the loan. They don't have an underwriter to reference at all. They get criteria from many lenders, but it is not the same as actually underwriting the deal.  As a consequence, a mortgage broker can issue a "pre-approval" that really doesn't mean anything because the underwriter is with a lender they many not even have submitted your information to yet. A good broker will know what works and will have you meet that criteria in advance. However, for every good broker there are 100 out there that will promise anything to get you to use them and then never perform. Those types of brokers operate under the theory of throwing everything against the wall and see what sticks. You don't want to go down that road without an experienced & talented mortgage broker because you are the one that takes the hit if he/she didn't prepare the file right from the beginning.

Just to give you a little perspective on your loans - one of my buyers closed today. She is a first time homebuyer. Her loan was an FHA loan with the 3.5% down payment which is an LTV of 96.5%. The rate is 3.875% fixed, 30 yrs. The origination fee was half a point. But she has MIP. Everything is a tradeoff.

Message 5 of 7
namvet
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

I didn't really explain the difference between a mortgage banker and a mortgage broker all that well. First let me say that an experienced and talented mortgage broker is an excellent resource and worth their weight in gold. They are increasingly difficult to find now, for every good one, there are 100 that don't know what they are doing. (Kind of like Realtors...easy to get the license, but not easy to know the business!)Smiley Sad

A mortgage banker has access to many, many lenders too. What a mortgage banker does is actually originate and fund the loan. They may use their own funds or borrow funds from a warehouse lender to fund the loan. Then, usually at the closing table or shortly thereafter, they sell the loan so you actually end up with someone like Chase or Wells Fargo for example. The mortgage banker underwrites the loan, funds the loan and then sells the loan (and/or servicing rights) to one of many, many lenders with which they work. When a mortgage banker gives you an approval, you have an actual commitment and you know the loan will be funded, unless you do something to change your financial status before closing.

A mortgage broker brings borrowers and lenders together, but does not fund the loan. They don't have an underwriter to reference at all. They get criteria from many lenders, but it is not the same as actually underwriting the deal.  As a consequence, a mortgage broker can issue a "pre-approval" that really doesn't mean anything because the underwriter is with a lender they many not even have submitted your information to yet. A good broker will know what works and will have you meet that criteria in advance. However, for every good broker there are 100 out there that will promise anything to get you to use them and then never perform. Those types of brokers operate under the theory of throwing everything against the wall and see what sticks. You don't want to go down that road  because you are the one that takes the hit if he/she didn't prepare the file right from the beginning.

Just to give you a little perspective on your loans - one of my buyers closed today. She is a first time homebuyer. Her loan was an FHA loan with the 3.5% down payment which is an LTV of 96.5%. The rate is 3.875% fixed, 30 yrs. The origination fee was half a point. But she has MIP. Everything is a tradeoff.

+1 on the Mortgage Broker!!!    It is true that there are fewer really good mortgage brokers out there and the same goes for realtors.  Just make sure you check the license status of the broker before you pick one.  You will save money and time by connecting with the right broker.   I spent over 30 years as a mortgage banker and broker.  Good Luck!

Message 6 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So when I look over the estimates I compare pretty much the overall cost of the loan (fees & points, vs. rate for the time I think I will own the home)?

If I went with a Mortgage Banker how can I find the best rate if there are so many of them?

Sorry for the delay in response and Thank You for your time to educate me and the MyFico Clan

compare rate and fees(including points).... not prepaids and title or other 3rd party fees. they will be the same from lender to lender.

simply get a quote over the phone from a few lenders. the one who asks the most questions is likely going to be the most accurate.

dont try to overthink it.... a couple of hundred more in fees are worth it if there are no surprises or delays, imo.
and see the comment in my signature about rates/fees. 

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.