Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking in Rates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Locking in Rates

I've noticed in the past couple days that mortgage rates are starting to rise.  Bankrate said it's due to inflation fears with Obama's stimulus package on the horizon.  I'm planning on buying/searching for a house in the next 2-5 months and I'm unsure on what I should do?  Do I start the mortgage process or wait to see what happens? 

Also, I've read about all the first time homebuyer programs regarding FHA, loan assistance programs, etc.  When I go to a mortgage borrower, will they inform me of all these different programs or is this something I need to be well prepared to bring up during our conversation? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RAISEUP
Regular Contributor

Re: Locking in Rates

Mikey good questions. I'm in the same situation and just being cautious on when to lock in on rates with FHA. I would hold tight at least for the next 30 days (unless something you can't pass by comes up 4%) :-)

As a fellow first time homebuyer, I've been reading and aquiring a lot of news on down payment assistance programs coming back but being driven by higher standards as it relates to credit scores + 620 and up. I think an honest mortgage broker is helpful but would definitely begin doing the legwork on your own, which it seems you already have started.

~~~
Transunion 652 | 3/27/09-677 | 5/20-09 -683
Equifax 4/21/08 -609 | 5/4/08-632 | 12/26-08- 651 | 5/5/09 - 652
Experian 4/16/08- 613 | 11/08 - 646 | 3/27/09-673
~~~
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.