Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking in interest rate.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Locking in interest rate.

I am pre-approved for a mortgage. The bank loan officer said, that I must have a accepted offer on a house before he will  lock in a interest rate. I have to wait until the end of September to buy a house, and the interest rates are low now.  Do all banks and mortgage companies have the same rule, that one must have an accepted offer in order to "lock in"  a interest rate?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Locking in interest rate.

Yea thats how mine did to. Bank for usda loan
Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I am pre-approved for a mortgage. The bank loan officer said, that I must have a accepted offer on a house before he will  lock in a interest rate. I have to wait until the end of September to buy a house, and the interest rates are low now.  Do all banks and mortgage companies have the same rule, that one must have an accepted offer in order to "lock in"  a interest rate?

Yes, they all need a contract in order to lock the rate.

Message 3 of 4
cappucino24
Valued Member

Yes, same thing here..my LO informed me that if he locks me in a rate then I only have a certain amount of days (I forget the number) to find a house and get financed at that rate AND rates change everyday. Say you get locked in for 3.75 today but the next day the rate is 3.25..Given that fact, it only makes since to lock in after you find a house...

This housebuying game is such a gamble!! To many maybes and ifs!

Starting Score: EQ 593
Current Score: EQ (sw) 635, TU (sw) 661, EX 635 (lender pull
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.