Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for $550K loan, Excellent credit, little $ down

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for $550K loan, Excellent credit, little $ down

We are looking to sell our place (probably make a little money) and buy a new one by the Fall.  I want to put as little down as possible because we don't have that much in cash.  The loan would probably be in the $550K - $600K range.  Our credit scores are above 780 and we make a combined $200K per year.  No debt other than the mortgage.

I'd love to put 5% down or less.  What kind of options do we have?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for $550K loan, Excellent credit, little $ down

You should be able to get a 5% down conventional loan for that.  No less than 5% down though I believe.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Any recommendations for a broker/lender?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not particularly.  Ask friends/family if they have dealt with anyone.  Also, shop around.  You really only get hit for the inquiry once as long as the inquiries fall in a short time period 14-30 days I believe..

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked to see if you qualify for FHA? Definitely wouldn't in my area but i know some areas are generally more expensive so they have higher qualifying limits. FHA only requires 3.5% down.
Message 5 of 10
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

You should be able to get funding with 5% down.  I guess the question the system will want to know is if you have no debt, and are making $200k a year, why don't you have any savings in cash?  There might be very good reasons for this but it does beg the question.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a good point actually.  For a 5% down conventional loan at a good rate, they may expect to see some reserves available.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don;t think FHA goes up to 550K anywhere.  I think the max even in high areas is in the low 400's.  I could very well be wrong though.

Message 7 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:
You should be able to get funding with 5% down.  I guess the question the system will want to know is if you have no debt, and are making $200k a year, why don't you have any savings in cash?  There might be very good reasons for this but it does beg the question.

IMHO, original poster and anybody else who has a good income but little savings is skating on very very thin ice financially especially in the current economy where very few jobs are truly safe unless OP is something like a Tenured Professor at a major University. Were I in that sort of situation my top financial priority right now would not be making a real estate purchase but cutting living costs rapidly and radically in order to accumulate cash.

My favorite way to think about budgeting is to focus on fixed expenses, like mortgage, taxes, utilities, basic food, auto costs, etc. and keep those below about 60% of after-tax income.  Stuff like eating out, entertainment, travel, and so forth are much less dangerous in the event of an income decrease than are fixed expenses because discretionary spending can be cut back immediately should there be a need to cut back.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a good point actually.  For a 5% down conventional loan at a good rate, they may expect to see some reserves available.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don;t think FHA goes up to 550K anywhere.  I think the max even in high areas is in the low 400's.  I could very well be wrong though.

There are some areas of California that go over $700k

http://www.fhaloan.com/lending_limits_state.cfm?state=CALIFORNIA

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know.  I did not realize they went that high anywhere....
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.