Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for New Home Close to No Money Down

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Looking for New Home Close to No Money Down

Cost of new home 165K. Brand new construction. Income 100K all on 1040's. Same place of employ for 40 years. All 3 FICO scores over 780. Not much cash to show lender as a reserve but it is available through documentation. Can I get a mortgage for around 150K at around 5% today for what will be considered a secondary home since I do not plan on using it for anything more than a vacation home for the next 3 years? I plan on working up North for another few years then I will move into the house on a fulltime basis. Debt to income is close to 0. I have no debts other than normal monthly expenses like car insurance TV phone and the like in my current apt. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for New Home Close to No Money Down

Not much cash to show lender as a reserve but it is available through documentation. 

I don't quite follow, when you "show" a lender you have reserves, you do that by documentation, so it sounds like you would have reserves.

Also when buying a second home with less than 20% down, you have to obtain private mortgage insurance, and just recently mortgage insurance companies starting insuring second homes in non-distressed markets, to 90%.  So if you have an extra 5% to put down that'd solve it.  2 months housing payment in reserves, 720 score & no more than a 45% debt ratio is also required (some require 760 score & 41% debt ratio).

Debt would consist of your current rent & the new housing payment.  On $165k with 10% down, payment probably won't be more than $1,250/mo, assuming a 2% tax rate.  Assuming that payment, and $100k/year of qualifying income, as long as your rent isn't more than $2,500/mo your debt ratio would be no more than 44.954%.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Thanks Shane. The reserves are not in what you might say is a typical investment but I can document that I own the assets.

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome.  Sounds mysterious, well ultimately when the assets get reviewed by the loan officer it'll be deemed if they can qualify or not.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.