Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new home is stressful

tag
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

Looking for a new home is stressful

At 39 yrs old this is my 1st time buying a home. After repairing my credit after a chapter 7 and being approved through DU you would think I would be happy. Well I was until my actual home search begin. I'm really starting to think that I went with the wrong realtor. I say this because I'm the one searching Zillow and Redfin and providing him with jones I see that I would like to tour. I don't get a mls unless I ask for any new homes that he see listed.

I found a home that I really liked out of the 12 that I've viewed. The home is listed at $169,900, he advised me to offer $160k w/ $4800 seller credit. Two days later I called him to see if he'd heard anything and was told that he received an email saying the offer was too low. He said the agent doesn't respond to him and advised me to go up to 165k. By now I've done my own research and the home is priced correctly for the area. I've been watching homes in that area since July of last year. I told him to offer asking and yet he still insist on me only going up 5k. Offer gets rejected again. Now he wants to offer the list price. He should have done that when I told him to. Ugh!!!! Sorry I just needed to vent
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for a new home is stressful

Honestly it sounds like your realtor is just trying to save you some money. Offering below the asking price is fairly normal, in some markets it's probably expected. If you can get the home for less than the value you get instant equity, as well as a little extra cushion should the value charge.
I kind of enjoyed looking at homes online myself...after seeing them in person it got old fast. Walked into to many homes and knew right away I wasn't interested. Knowing others are looking at the same places...i missed a few opportunities too.
Definitely can be stressful.
Message 2 of 11
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

It is stressful. Been with three realtors, one wanted to push me above what willing to pay. I am doing my own research on properties, because they do not seem to follow through. However, Google sidewalk view is a great way to see your neighbors. Smiley Wink

I am learning to turn lemons into lemonade. Sometimes, it turns out plan b is better for my personal situation. And, having cleaned up my credit with collections running until 2019, I have found I am my best advocate.

Consider you and the realtor a team. However, if realtor will not put in the offer you request, then time to get a better team member..
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 11
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

But if he knows that they are not going to budge from asking price why keep having me submit offers below hoping that they give. They're not even countering according to him so I'm thinking their offended with the low offers.
Message 4 of 11
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

ImPerfectFuture, thanks for your advice. I can't do anything but sit and see what the outcome is on the offer submitted yesterday. He does not want to show me any other homes until we know the outcome of this one. Which I thought we were going out today to see a few potential backups. I guess I'll spend my day in Zillow and Redfin
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:
At 39 yrs old this is my 1st time buying a home. After repairing my credit after a chapter 7 and being approved through DU you would think I would be happy. Well I was until my actual home search begin. I'm really starting to think that I went with the wrong realtor. I say this because I'm the one searching Zillow and Redfin and providing him with jones I see that I would like to tour. I don't get a mls unless I ask for any new homes that he see listed.

I found a home that I really liked out of the 12 that I've viewed. The home is listed at $169,900, he advised me to offer $160k w/ $4800 seller credit. Two days later I called him to see if he'd heard anything and was told that he received an email saying the offer was too low. He said the agent doesn't respond to him and advised me to go up to 165k. By now I've done my own research and the home is priced correctly for the area. I've been watching homes in that area since July of last year. I told him to offer asking and yet he still insist on me only going up 5k. Offer gets rejected again. Now he wants to offer the list price. He should have done that when I told him to. Ugh!!!! Sorry I just needed to vent

The only time I depended on my realtor is when it was time to send an offer and sign the contract.  Making the offer and all the other things I did myself.  Don't depend on the realtor to do anything except for provide the contract to make the offer and send it to lisitng agent.    It shouldn't be that way since they get paid, but that's they way it is.   

Message 6 of 11
tallchick
Valued Member

Yes it is stressful, but remeber they work for YOU, would you allow your employee to "do what he wanted" rather than what you needed them to do?  They make a nice commission  and dont be afraid to make them work for it!! I would speak to him about your concerns and see if he can accomdate your needs, if not get someone who loves what they do and want to make sure you get what YOU want and not what they think you should have.....

In the mean time take a deep breath, and know that it will all come together in the end as long as you dont let others control you.  Keep us updated!!!

Message 7 of 11
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

Than you tallchick and weatherguy for the advice. I'll try and relax and have fun with it. I'll let you know if my offer gets accepted.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:
Than you tallchick and weatherguy for the advice. I'll try and relax and have fun with it. I'll let you know if my offer gets accepted.

Also, stay involved with the entire process.   I was in touch with title company, closing department, funding department, loan processor, listing agent and etc.    I owned the entire process. 

Message 9 of 11
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:

Also, stay involved with the entire process.   I was in touch with title company, closing department, funding department, loan processor, listing agent and etc.    I owned the entire process. 

That's the way to tackle 'em.  Smiley Tongue

Signature needs updating
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.