Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some guidance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for some guidance

I finally have my mortgage scores up to where I'm comfortable (680 mid score) and I'm now working on saving up cash for a down payment.  We are currently in a very small rental and are wanting to move as quickly as possible. I need to wait until Feb/March to close as I'm self employed and need to count my 2016 income into my 2 year average to be able to qualify for the loan amount needed to get us into a house that we are happy with.  I have 2 options... 1. Wait until the beginning of the year and get pre approval and start the house hunting process then or 2. Meet with a local builder in the fall and go under contract for a new construction home (to be built). Either way we would prefer new construction whether it's having one built or picking from what's available when we are ready to buy. The local builder we would use if we went with option #2 finances the construction himself if it's a neighborhood they are already building in so I wouldn't need a construction loan. 

Are there any advantages/disadvantages between the 2 options? We are in a very hot market where homes sell very quickly. Part of me is concerned that there will not be anything we really love the beginning of next year (considering there is already low inventory and I'm sure historically the winter months= less homes on the market) but on the other hand I'm clueless on the home building process and don't know what to expect if we went with option 2.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for some guidance

Anyone?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for some guidance

I'm currently building a home with a national builder and can offer my advice for building: It gives you time to sort out the credit and save for the downpayment if you don't have all of the funds available when you sign the contract. I am unsure of how smaller/local builders do things, but I do like having the option of a semi-custom home. The land is already picked out and graded and all you have to do is choose your lot, elevation, and upgrades and wait however many months they take. Been under contract since 1/30/16. Been a long and very slow process thus far but I'm a pretty patient person. If you are impatient, building a home may not be for you. Hope this helps a little bit at least.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.