cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for someone who applied for both USDA vs another mortgage little or no money down)

tag
jcrsmom
Contributor

Looking for someone who applied for both USDA vs another mortgage little or no money down)

Hey all, 

Has anyone applied for both a mortgage outside of USDA and for a USDA?  I am wondering if the approval amount was the same in both cases. 

Current EX Score: 760

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Looking for someone who applied for both USDA vs another mortgage little or no money down)

Can't quite figure out what you are seeking but I will say this. Every lender, even targeting the same program [eg:USDA], has its own lening guidelines. Those guidlines may or may not be more stringent/different that the general program guidlines.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

Message 2 of 8
jcrsmom
Contributor

Re: Looking for someone who applied for both USDA vs another mortgage little or no money down)

Basically I am wondering if USDA is more generous in how much it approves you for vs another loan.

Message 3 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@jcrsmom wrote:

Basically I am wondering if USDA is more generous in how much it approves you for vs another loan.

I'm not sure what you mean by "generous". With USDA not requiring a down payment, I'd say it s pretty "generous" compared to any other source. In fact, I can't think of any other source of 100% LTV loans that would compare to USDA. The exception would be VA.

Just curious, if you are planning on 100% LTV financing, how much more "generous" would you like to see other lenders be?

Seems like your concern is really about your ability to meet lending guidelines [eg: DTI, reserves, income limits, etc.]. If so, I would say that VA is probably the most "generous" source for home mortgage financing.

Also, the amount of loan is dependent of the purchase price or appraised value [whichever is less] assuming that you can meet all the other underwriting and program guidelines. Hopefully this answers your question. Maybe someone else sees your question differently and can offer a different response on it.

Message 4 of 8
jcrsmom
Contributor

Of course I know that they are being generous not requiring a down payment.  I already have a pre-approval with Navy Federal, so I know I am qualified etc.  

Message 5 of 8
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

I think she's asking if, given the same credit file, the USDA approval will be for more, less, or the same amount as other programs. I assume she is basically asking about DTI ratios, not looking for a handout.

Message 6 of 8
jcrsmom
Contributor

That's correct. I am just wondering if based on my information if USDA might offer more money for a mortgage vs a traditional mortgage.  

Message 7 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@DanTheMan77 wrote:

I think she's asking if, given the same credit file, the USDA approval will be for more, less, or the same amount as other programs. I assume she is basically asking about DTI ratios, not looking for a handout.

Did I suggest otherwise? Where did that come from?

I answered the question about the DTI issue. I'm curious if you had an answer for the OP.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.