Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to Ease My Nerves..USDA Guaranteed Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to Ease My Nerves..USDA Guaranteed Loan

Just found this site today and really enjoy reading about everyone's stories.  Just wanted to see if I could get a little reassurance on a USDA Guaranteed Loan I am trying to get approved for within the next couple weeks.

The house: I was pre-approved by my lender back in March to build and finance a new home located in a USDA area in Indiana.  Price of the home is $166k and the price of the loan with upfront fee is $169,900.  The house is about 2 days from completion, when all the appraising/approving begins.  Very nervous/anxious.

My details:

Income: $50k, all salary.  1 year of work history, which started directly after I received my Master's (in the same field I currently work).

All 3 credit scores are 710+, no late payments, collections, or bad marks at all, so I feel confident there.

My monthly debt is $205 car, $40 discover card balance, $270 student loans - so $515 in total.

With Escrow, Mortage, and 0.3% PMI, Lender estimates $1025 monthly for the new house.

I put my $1000 earnest money down, but that's really all I have in savings (Maybe an additional $500-750 at closing)

The lender I went through was offering basically no closing costs and a sizeable credit towards my Escrow setup. Based on that, my earnest money should cover all of the closing costs and I think I'd even get some back.

With all of that, my DTI ratios would be 25/37, which is under the limits of USDA, but not by a lot.  So the fact that I am close to the limits and don't have much towards savings is what has me worried.  Also, because of the upfront fee I am looking for 103% of the home value for my loan - which worries me as well.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
languedoctor
Valued Member

Re: Looking to Ease My Nerves..USDA Guaranteed Loan

Are you getting financing through the developer/builder?

Everything looks to be in order - other than the 103% finance. USDA limit is 102% -- but, then, the guarantee fee is only 2%, so . . .

I'm in the middle of a USDA guarantee mortgage, myself. Also in Indiana. I've been extremely satisfied* with my mortgage broker. If you run into any trouble, I'd be happy to recommend the broker I'm working with (Indianapolis area).

* what I mean by this is: She is extremely conscientious about putting together the strongest file possible. It actually took a fair amount fo work on my part before she was ready to submit to underwriting. But when she did, I heard back from the lender within 24 hours, and the conditions were a piece of cake. That's exactly the sort of "get it right the first time" attitude that I like.

Barclay's Aviator Red | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Freedom | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select | Discover It
(too dumb to figure out images)
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking to Ease My Nerves..USDA Guaranteed Loan

Thanks for the reply!

My mistake...I was thinking 3% for the upfront fee, instead of 2%.  So I am actually trying to get 102% financing.

I believe my lender is also trying to present the best possible case for me.  Gave me recommendations on which cards to pay off, student loan consolidation, etc.  I also just sent in a letter explaining the recent credit inquiries on my report from the past 6 months or so.  They were mostly in regards to shopping around for auto-refinance and this home mortgage.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.