cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to buy first home

tag
cutiepi3131

Looking to buy first home

I am planning on buying my first home next summer. I currently have a Navy Federal card with a $5100 balance (the limit is $13,300). I also have a Barclaycard that has a balance of $499 and a Firestone card with a $590 balance (both of these cards will be paid off in full in October). I have student loans and am paying a total of $446/month. I know that I need to raise my FICO scores (on this site it listed 640 as my mortgage score) and am looking for any other guidance as to what I can do to better prepare myself for buying a home. I am not too confident I can raise my scores high enough to qualify for a convential loan as I had a bankruptcy discharged back in July 2013. Any guidance?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking to buy first home

If this is your first home, you don't need to do a conventional loan. A 640 more than qualifies you to do an FHA, which only requires 3.5% down and I think the DTI (debt to income) ratio is 41%, which means that all of your revolving and installment debt plus the new mortgage must be at or less 41%. If you're waiting a year from now, you have plenty of time to save a downpayment plus pay down your revolving debt. Paying down those two smaller credit cards to <10% of their balance will have a huge positive effect on your credit scores. You will be in a good position come next year (and possibly even now depending on your readiness, savings, and DTI).

@cutiepi3131 wrote:

I am planning on buying my first home next summer. I currently have a Navy Federal card with a $5100 balance (the limit is $13,300). I also have a Barclaycard that has a balance of $499 and a Firestone card with a $590 balance (both of these cards will be paid off in full in October). I have student loans and am paying a total of $446/month. I know that I need to raise my FICO scores (on this site it listed 640 as my mortgage score) and am looking for any other guidance as to what I can do to better prepare myself for buying a home. I am not too confident I can raise my scores high enough to qualify for a convential loan as I had a bankruptcy discharged back in July 2013. Any guidance?

Message 2 of 8
cutiepi3131

Thanks! That helps to ease some of my worrying Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I was just reading an article about this today. Not sure how true it is, but take a look. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/01/25/dont-be-fooled-by-the-new-fha-mortgage-insurance-p....

If this is true you can do a conventional loan with 3% down being a first time borrower. If you're in a rural area, there are some other program options available under certain guidelines other than FHA.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

I was just reading an article about this today. Not sure how true it is, but take a look. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/01/25/dont-be-fooled-by-the-new-fha-mortgage-insurance-p....

If this is true you can do a conventional loan with 3% down being a first time borrower. If you're in a rural area, there are some other program options available under certain guidelines other than FHA.

Let's compare just principal and interest payments over the life of the loan for both options (let's also go with a 760 credit score to try and tip the scale in favor of conventional):

FHA w/ 3.5% down

Interest rate: 3.75%

Mortgage insurance: 0.85% for life of the loan

Principal + interest + mortgage insurance = $1288.16

Total cost over 30 years = $463,737.60

@(360 payments @ $1288.16)

Conventional w/ 3% down

Interest rate: 4.375% (pricing takes a hit for conventional w/ LTVs 95.01-97%)

Mortgage insurance: 1.05% until loan reaches 78% LTV (PMI automatically cancelled)

Principal + interest + mortgage insurance = $1422.96

Will take 10 years and 8 months, or 128 payments to reach 78% LTV.

Total cost over 30 years = $463,037.52

@(128 payments @ $1422.96 + 232 payments @ $1210.77)

These rates are actual quotes I pulled using our pricing software. To summarize, even with a 760+ credit score you'd have to live in a property for 29 years and 3 months before you will come out ahead w/ a 3% down conventional vs 3.5% down FHA. Not sure who writes these articles, but I wish they'd analyze some actual data before than throwing terms like "foolish" around.

Message 5 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

^^^Awesome analysis dpeezy. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Agreed! I like the way you broke it down. 😊
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.