Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to potentially buy a home

tag
jropeter
New Contributor

Looking to potentially buy a home

Good evening all!

I am hoping someone can answer this question for me! I have been looking into buying a home recently. I make between 30-40K/year, and my credit scores average between 695-705 (I'm expecting two of them to raise due to some baddies falling off in the next few months). My question is...would I be a good candidate to get an FHA loan? How much of a loan might I qualify for?

Any help is greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

AmEx BCE 12k | Sams Club 10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 10k| Discover IT $9.2k I Citi Diamond Preferred 5.3k I Barclays Apple Financing 4.5k | Barclays Arrival 4k | Chase Freedon $3k I Amazon Storecard $2.5k | Paypal $1.6k | src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" width="50" border="0" align="left">Starting Score: 520's
Current Score: FICO EX: 778(10/2014) FICO EQ: 785 (FICO 10/2014) FICO TU: 789 (Discover Monthly FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
benjita

Re: Looking to potentially buy a home

You need to know your DTI first. Below 45% you should be good to go, although I believe FHA allows for higher ratio. A bank will likely offer you more than you need so you really should be looking what you think you can put to loan every month (taking into account utilities, hoa, maintenance, etc).

Message 2 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you should seriously consider conventional.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 6
jropeter
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. What is the minimum down payment I could get away with?

AmEx BCE 12k | Sams Club 10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 10k| Discover IT $9.2k I Citi Diamond Preferred 5.3k I Barclays Apple Financing 4.5k | Barclays Arrival 4k | Chase Freedon $3k I Amazon Storecard $2.5k | Paypal $1.6k | src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" width="50" border="0" align="left">Starting Score: 520's
Current Score: FICO EX: 778(10/2014) FICO EQ: 785 (FICO 10/2014) FICO TU: 789 (Discover Monthly FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

conventional 5% down is very available.

3.5% down fha is a crazy choice if you can fit in conventional

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
jadeite788
Established Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

you should seriously consider conventional.

ditto.  Found out lower interest rates, and no Up Front MIP.  Wish I could have gone conventional.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.